none
Linker Error LNK1316: duplicate managed resource name ...

Question

• Hi

I've converted a managed C++ project from 7 to 8 (VS 2005beta2) and am now getting this error for which there is no online-help....

Error 1 fatal error LNK1316: duplicate managed resource name 'MyProjXY.resources' MyProj.XY

Can anyone advise as to what this error means, amd possibly how to get round it?

Thanks

Mark
    Tuesday, June 14, 2005 8:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is an issue that can sometimes occur on projects upgraded from VC7.x. If you look at the buildlog.htm file you will probably see that the assembly resource is specified twice (look for "/ASSEMBLYRESOURCE:MyProjXY.resources"). In previous versions, the linker would silently choose one of the two whereas we now detect the issue and force you to correct it. In order to solve, simply fix the duplicate specification in your Linker properties.

Thanks,
    Thursday, June 16, 2005 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This error says that you there are several resources defined with of the same name and ID. Could you check if you  VC7.0 project defines resource RT_MANIFEST with ID equal to 1 or 2?

Thanks,
    Nikola
    VC++ Team
    Thursday, June 16, 2005 3:46 AM
  • Hi,

This is an issue that can sometimes occur on projects upgraded from VC7.x. If you look at the buildlog.htm file you will probably see that the assembly resource is specified twice (look for "/ASSEMBLYRESOURCE:MyProjXY.resources"). In previous versions, the linker would silently choose one of the two whereas we now detect the issue and force you to correct it. In order to solve, simply fix the duplicate specification in your Linker properties.

Thanks,
    Thursday, June 16, 2005 8:48 AM
  • Hi!

I have this exact same issue. If I check the "CommandLine" tab under Linker properties, there are NOT 2 occurances of ASSEMBLYRESOURCE however, and everything else looks fine. The when I build, it fails with the same error as described above. When I turn to the BuildLog-file it DOES have 2 entrys for the ASSEMBLYRESOURCE parameter, but I cant really understand what I have to do to get rid of it, since the actual command-line is generated by the IDE.

Please assist in this, as it stops us from compiling our projects with embedded resources.

Regards,
    Per

EDIT: I manage to resolve it myself. It was just a matter of removing the include line in the Linker settings, that told the linker to embedd the .resources file, and then everything worked.
    Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:08 AM