none
Can not add any Web Controls to tool Box

Question

• Hi all,

I have to firstly say I am just about fed up now with this .NET stuff.

I have installed VS2008 on fresh Brand new Laptop with Vista Home Premium, no fancy software no Virus software or anything. I have Left UAC on, but no matter what I do I can not add any controls to the tool box they will just not show up.

I am trying to add the AJAX tookit and my new VS2008 Compatible Telerik Rad Controls Q3 2007.

I have tried everything from resetting the tool box to deleting the *tdb files everything, but I can not see the controls added to the tool box. If I choose show all they are there but greyed out.

I have lost over 3 days trying to fix this and numerous fresh installs of the OS and it still will not work. I and the company i work for can not afford to lose this much amount of time. I really need a fix guys or ill have to just go with PHP or something, I cant have this much trouble with a tool box and software.

Please just somebody help me, I am really on the edge here and very frustrated, I can not work on the projects If I cant use the controls.

Please don't ask me Is it web control? is it for 2.0 or 3.0 or 3.5 I know what I am doing, its just not working..

Many thanks

Jason

Friday, December 28, 2007 1:49 AM

Answers

•  

Jason,

I was having the same problem.  My solution: I unplugged my Microsoft wireless mouse and the grayed out AJAX Controls became active!

My platform:

HP Pavilion Laptop dv9000

Vista Ultimate

Visual Studio 2008

Microsoft Wireless Mouse

Recompiled AJAX Control Toolkit to have version number 3.5.0.0.

To check that the wireless mouse somehow was related to the problem, I reset the control toolbox, disconnected my wireless mouse, and successfully added the AJAX Control Toolkit to my toolbox using the touchpad on my laptop.  I also borrowed a Logitech wireless mouse and had no problems with the AJAX Control Toolkit. Therefore, it appears, at least for my setup, that the Microsoft wireless mouse was causing the problem.

I would be interested if this solution would apply/works for you.  Please let me know.

Thanks,

John

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi:

please make sure your project built in .Net FrameWork3.5, you can set it in the "New Project" dialogue, upper-right combox. If it were not. the situation as yours will occur.

If it is , would you try to create a new web control and to see whether you can add it to the toolbox?

you can following these steps:

• Create an ASP.NET server control.

• Add metadata to the control and its members to control security and design-time behavior.

• Use the App_Code directory in an ASP.NET Web site to test your control without manual compilation steps.

• Specify a tag prefix in a configuration file and in the control's assembly.

• Compile the control into an assembly and add it to the Bin directory.

• Embed a bitmap into the control's assembly as the toolbox icon for a visual designer.

• Use the compiled control in a page                            

you can get detail reference in http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/yhzc935f(VS.80).aspx

if it's ok, then it shows that there is something wrong when adding AJAX tookit and your Controls,

then the best place to deal with this problem should be ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit, I believe if you describe your question with reproduce steps, you’d get more chances to receive satisfactory answers there.

Thanks.

Monday, December 31, 2007 7:48 AM
  • Hello,

I've exactly the same problem with Visual Studio 2008 version 9.0.21022.8 RTM. The toolbox contains no item (except html tags) when editing a web page. The same bug occurs when editing a windows form application. I tried to repair the installation and reset the toolbox but none of those actions solved the problem. I hadn't this bug with Orcas beta 2...

Here is a screen shot of the problem.

Does someone knows how to correct it ?

Best regards,

mathmax

Monday, December 31, 2007 11:18 AM
  • Hi thank you, but this also does not work. It does not matter if I use .NET 2.0 or 3.0 or 3.5 I can not simply add any third party controls to the tool box be they the AJAX toolkit 1.0 or 3.5 or things like Telerik Rad Controls, it will just not show them unless I choose show all at which point it shows them but greyed out. Yet I have VS2005 on the same PC at it works all ok.

I am in a 2.0 Web Project Solution on local IIS, I have tried Updating to 3.5 I have even made new web projects for 2.0 & 3.5 and still it will not show any controls apart from what is shipped with the IDE.

There is something wrong somewhere with the VS2008 that its not seeing the controls. The PC is completely up to date as far as service packs and windows updates but VS2008 will simply not allow Me to add any third party Web Controls what so ever no matter what, Please help guys its getting very frustrating now.

EDIT****

I also get the same issue in Visual Web Developer 2008

All the best for the New year

Jason

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 5:53 PM
  • I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with this toolbox.  I would like to isolate the possibility of an issue with the installation.

Can you please run the following tool and respond with the output?

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronru/archive/2007/11/29/net-framework-3-5-installation-validation-tool.aspx

Thursday, January 03, 2008 12:04 AM
  • Hi there, thanks for the reply,

I have ran the tool and this is its response.

C:\>NetFx35_detect_issues.bat
    THE FOLLOWING SCRIPT will check to make sure that .NET Framework 3.5
    is installed properly and will tell you what is not configured appropriately
    WINDOWS VERSION: 6.0.6000
    EVERYTHING IS INSTALLED AND CONFIGURED APPROPRIATELY

I wish it would of said something was wrong but it says what it says,

any help to resolve this issue would be great.

Kind Regards

Jason Chandler

Thursday, January 03, 2008 8:31 AM
  • I am now seeing other people reporting similar issues on the asp.net forums.

There must be something up with the Tool Box or the way in which Vs2008 is using multi targeting.

Its a little crazy, i really hope this gets fixed.

Jason

Thursday, January 03, 2008 11:25 AM
  • Hi there, I am still having the same issues, with no resolve I have tried all the devenv / resetsettings ETC and nothing is working, I can not add any third party controls to the Tool Box??

Is there anything or does anybody know how to fix this.

Just for info i have:

Brand New Toshiba Satellite A200 Laptop (It has no usless software or crazy stuff running in the task bar, I have removed Norton before I began any installations. But I have tried even leaving the software on.

1.Re-installed the OS Vista Home Premium.

2.Installed everything under IIS & .net 3.0 from windows Programs and features

3.Done all Windows Updates, I mean all not just critical updates.

4.Installed VS2008 to the default location I Chose Full, but have tried custom.

5.Checked for updates for VS2008

I have also done this in radom order.

TOOL BOX DID NOT WORK AT THIS POINT WITH ANY THIRD PARTY WEB CONTROLS AND AJAX TOOLKIT 3.5

Installed ASP.NET AJAX Extensions 1.0

Installed AJAX 1.0 Templates for VS2008

TOOL BOX DID NOT WORK AT THIS POINT WITH ANY THIRD PARTY WEB CONTROLS AND AJAX TOOLKIT 1.0

The Controls just will not show I also note that the pointer control that is in every tab is missing from the general Tab unless I choose show all.

I have even deleted the 9.0 folder in the "C:\Users\jason\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0" I backed it up of course, but this did not help.

When I make a new tab or try to add controls to an existing tab then "choose Items" I can select the .dll I want to add and it appears ok with a tick next to it in the Choose Components & is the right version and all and is highlighted, bust when I press ok they just do not appear in the toolbox and if I choose show all they are greyed out and then when I un-tick show all the new tab I created just goes away!

I am defenitly selecting controls than can be used I am not trying to use for example WinForm controls in an ASP.NET application, as I have said it all works fine on VS2005.

I am at a loss, it just does not work for me. Can not add any controls to the Tool Box, I get the same Issue with Visual Web Developer 2008. Yet my .NET Frameworks seem to be installed correctly according to the above tool which I have used.

Please, please help

Jason 

Friday, January 04, 2008 9:05 AM
  •  

Jason,

I was having the same problem.  My solution: I unplugged my Microsoft wireless mouse and the grayed out AJAX Controls became active!

My platform:

HP Pavilion Laptop dv9000

Vista Ultimate

Visual Studio 2008

Microsoft Wireless Mouse

Recompiled AJAX Control Toolkit to have version number 3.5.0.0.

To check that the wireless mouse somehow was related to the problem, I reset the control toolbox, disconnected my wireless mouse, and successfully added the AJAX Control Toolkit to my toolbox using the touchpad on my laptop.  I also borrowed a Logitech wireless mouse and had no problems with the AJAX Control Toolkit. Therefore, it appears, at least for my setup, that the Microsoft wireless mouse was causing the problem.

I would be interested if this solution would apply/works for you.  Please let me know.

Thanks,

John

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:46 PM
  • I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH JOHN!!!!!

It worked, exactly as you said....More than 3 weeks with this and it turns out to be a Microsoft Mouse, I cant believe it.

Many thanks

You are the MAN

Jason

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:06 PM
  • Thanks man.  I had the exact same problem.  MS Wireless mouse seems to be causing a few problems for me.

Thursday, January 17, 2008 3:11 AM
  • Sorry if that last post comes thru half finished.  As per our conversation I had to unplug my wireless keyboard and mouse to continue working today and typing on that little keyboard with the touchpad is tough. 

I have the following equip:  HP Pavillion dv9000

Vista Ultimate

VS 2008

AJAX Toolkit (latest version)

MS Wireless Mouse/Keyboard

My AJAX toolbar that I added wasn't even visible unless I selected "Show All"  and the items where ghosted when I reopened my project after adding the new controls/toolbar.  Unplugging my mouse/keybd and starting VS2008 and then opening my project w/o the wireless worked like a charm.

After getting it working I thought that I might plug my wireless gear back and and continue working.  No such luck.  VS2008 behaves strangely with the wireless.  For instance in design mode when you have multiple controls on the screen and you click from one to another the properties window does not change to reflect the control that currently has focus.  When I noticed that I unplugged my wireless and clicking with the built in touchpad works perfectly.  I see a trip to the store for a USB keyboard/mouse in my immediate future.  Smile  Thanks for the post with that solution BTW, I was stumped, I was sure it was some kind of config issue. 

Thanks again...

Thursday, January 17, 2008 10:51 PM
  • I can also confirm this is a problem.  I have a wireless microsoft keyboard and mouse.  I ran the RadControls "Register the controls in the toolbox".  Didn't appear to work.  Unplugged usb cable for the wireless dongle.  They showed up.  Plugged it back in -- and they still appear to be visible.

They only appeared for the .Master page that I was working on though.  When I switched to the Aspx view, the RadControls toolbox tab disappeared.  Unplugged usb cable again.  They appeared.  Plugged it back in, they still appear to be there.

This is a really dumb bug.

Thanks for figuring it out though!
    Timothy
    http://www.anatone.net
    Monday, January 28, 2008 1:02 AM
  • Thanks for this wonderful tip!  Funny how it's a msft mouse that doesn't work with their own software.
    Monday, February 04, 2008 10:17 PM
  • I have the same problem.  I will be trying the suggestions listed in these links.

http://www.west-wind.com/WebLog/posts/9932.aspx

http://www.west-wind.com/weblog/posts/10641.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913405/en-us

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:18 PM
  •  

Hi!!!

I've the same problem with Visual Web developer 2008, Windows XP, framework 3.5 and the latest ajax toolkit.

Incredibly if I open the website direcly from the network the toolbar is enabled but if I open the website throuhgt http://, then, the toolbar is disabled.

I work in a nootebook and if I disconnect the mouse nothing appears...

Well if someone have the same problem... thanks for your help!!!

Daniella

Thursday, February 28, 2008 5:24 PM
  • I have a Dell XPS Notebook with Vista Home Premium installed.

In order to get the Ajax Tool box icons to appear and be functional in VS2008 I uninstalled the Microsoft software that can with my wireless  mouse I bought and then also had to disable the UAC (User Account Control).  That seemed to take care of all my problems with the Ajax Toolkit issue.

Friday, March 07, 2008 5:42 PM
  • Well, I don't have a MS Wireless mouse.

I do have Vista Home Premium

Toshiba Satellite

I had to copy the DVD to my externa HDD before the installation would even complete. Tried 3 times.

I only get the HTML toolbar. I was told it has something to do with the winsxs folder containing older versions of the system.web.dlls so I removed them.

Same thing.

It's funny that I'm only having problems with MS products - All my Adobe software installed and runs just fine.

Any other tricks?

Tom

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:36 AM
  • Same problem thank you so much for posting the solution. I'm going to kick my Microsoft mouse out onto the highway.

How is it even possible this did not come up in testing. I'm very dissapointed and very angry with all my lost time.

Monday, April 07, 2008 8:18 PM
  • Has anyone at  MS  done anything about this as yet?
    Monday, July 14, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Just letting everyone know I have open bug report opened with MS at Microsoft Connect.  We are working on it.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:28 AM
  • Same problem here, but no wireless mouse.  I Exited the "Dell Mouse Suite" and voila - the grayed out controls appeared.  If you're having this problem disable any fancy mouse-management software and problem will likely be solved.
    Monday, April 06, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Same problem with now wireless mouse. Anyone have a link to the bug report?
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:34 PM
  • I was having the same problem, but no wireless mouse, add a new tab, choose items, browse to the AJAX control toolkit .dll (for .NET 4 from http://ajaxcontroltoolkit.codeplex.com/) and when i click  ok, the new tab disappears and can only be seen when i activated the "show all" checkbox, but all the AJAX controls were grayed out. the problem was, that my project was created on .NET 3.5, so i followed this steps (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398202.aspx) "changing the target .NET framework Version or Profile for an existing project" to set the framework to .NET 4 and now everything is working, hope it helps... 

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Post a picture of the wireless mouse and keyboard and i will compare it to mine and test both toolkits.

-Gonow32

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:16 AM