none
Converting from VB6 to VB.Net

Question

•  

Hi All,

Is there any tool available to convert VB6 code to VB.Net? or Is there any simple way to do so....?

I have a VB6 dll. Now, I wan't to convert that in VB.Net.

Any help on this issue will be thankful.

Thank you,

Narayana Ayyagari

narayana@rcg.tv

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 6:26 AM

Answers

• Hello Narayana.

Just remember that, as Matthias rightly pointed out, the conversion tool is far from perfect.  It may sometimes convert everything perfectly, sometimes not.  You will encounter numurous problems if you made use of APIs in your old VB 6 projects, for example, As Any is not supported in .NET and it will not be changed when you convert your program.  You will also find that many of the old functions / keywords you made used of in VB 6, will still be in your Upgraded project, yes, but it will be because of the VB6 ( I think namespace ¿ ) and compatibiliteis are also imported.  You may also get a lot of Upgrade warnings in your code, but, luckily there is a link taking you to the appropriate place.

On a more serious note, Narayana. You have to remember that a lot has changed since VB 6, yes, it is a lot to get used to and perhaps learn as well, but eventually you'll realise how powerful VB.NET is, and you'll have to start digging deeper into the language to become a fully compliant Wink .NET programmer.

I hoep my comments were useful Smile

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:59 PM

All replies