none
Can I make VS2010 open .vbp files in VB6 instead of the VS2010 text editor?

General discussion

• In the Source Control Explorer when I double-click a .DOC file it opens the document externally in Word.  However, if I go to our old VB6 source code and double-click a .VBP file, it opens the project file in the VS2010 text editor, instead of following the file association to the application which should be used for that file type.

I would like to be able to configure VS2010 to open all .VBP files externally in VB6 (actually, I lie, I would prefer to never have to open those files again).  Can I make VS2010 obey the file association instead of opening these files internally?

Wednesday, May 02, 2012 12:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you're trying to migrate VB6 project to VS 2010.  VB and VB.NET are quite different languages, it's not suggested to migrate this way. Instead, just start development on VS 2010 for new projects, and leave the VB6 project with VB6. 

There're a few commercial comversion tools to migrate projects from VB6 to VS2010 though.

Refer to: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1038447/vb6-migrating-to-net-with-visual-studio-2010

Disclaimer:

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this
    information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and
    has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore,
    Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or
    suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent
    dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions
    you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any
    software from the Internet.<o:p></o:p>

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Friday, May 04, 2012 6:15 AM
  • Absolutely not.  Thats why I explained in the first sentence how Source Control Explorer can open SOME files using the system-wide association of the file type to an external application.

We use TFS to manage our source code.  We have to maintain some old VB6 projects, and I would like to be able to open those projects in VB6, as I said.  The question is how can I make Source Control Explorer open the project file in the EXTERNAL application that is associated with .VBP file types elsewhere in Windows.  It appears to have been intentionally over-ridden within VS2010, altho the .VBP file has no particular significance within VS2010.

Its only a matter of convenience, as it is easier using the source control interface within VS2010, which all works just fine.  Its just that when I want to open a VB6 project I have to leave VS and use Explorer to open the project file, its just excess clicking around which does not seem to be necessary.

Sunday, May 06, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Hi Les,

I reproduce the issue. 

Would you create a connect report for this issue? Product team will evaluate the issue carefully.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

To get better response, reproduce steps and your environment information are important. You can get email notification when there's update to connect issue.

thanks and best regards,

Monday, May 07, 2012 6:42 AM
  • Hi,

I reported the issue on connect website. You can track the issue with below link.  Thank you reporting this issue.

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/742348/vs-source-control-explorer-doesnt-open-vb6-project-in-vb6

best regards,

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:58 PM