Visual Studio 2010 - Service Pack 1

Question

• Hi,

Does anybody knows when will Microsoft release (in their plans or in roadmaps) a 'service pack' for Visual Studio 2010.

I know it's too early to ask, but my client requires a stable release of VS 2010 + .Net 4.0 before going into development of his project.

Thanks.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 4:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Jinath - No service pack timeline for Visual Studio 2010 has been announced.  If your client is experiencing any specific issues with VS 2010 RTM or .NET 4.0, though, he/she or you are welcome to file bugs at https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/.

Brittany Behrens | Program Manager | Visual Studio Platform - Editor | The Visual Studio Blog | @VSEditor on Twitter

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:57 AM
  • When would you expect an announcement to be made? So at least we can know when we will know... you know...

Software Developer, MCP
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:26 PM
  • @Codesleuth:  I honestly don't know.  I'll keep this thread updated with any new developments, but it could be a while before there's anything to share.  You may recall that prereleased versions of VS 2010 - Beta1, Beta2, RC, etc. - weren't announced until less than a week before they were available.  I truly don't know what the announcement timeline is for VS 2010 SP1, but it may (or may not, I suppose) follow the same pattern as other major VS 2010 milestones, meaning it's possible there might not be much advance notice.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,

Brittany Behrens | Program Manager | Visual Studio Platform - Editor | The Visual Studio Blog | @VSEditor on Twitter

Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Any updates on this?
    Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:19 AM
  • Not yet.  I'll keep this thread updated, but it still may be a while before anything is announced.

Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Brittany,

As no timeline is available, can you bring us up to speed with some major changes/updates are planned for the SP1 of VS2010 ?

Grtz. Dennis

Thursday, September 02, 2010 10:44 AM
  • Hi all - Sorry to sound like a broken record, but as of now there is nothing to announce about any Visual Studio 2010 service pack.  No schedule, no content announcements, etc.  The VS team isn't commenting on VS 2010 service packs at all at this point.

Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:59 PM
  • Hi all - The VS 2010 SP1 Beta was just announced yesterday.  It's available to MSDN subscribers now and will be released publicly tomorrow (December 9, 2010).  More info:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasonz/archive/2010/12/07/announcing-visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1-beta.aspx.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 1:42 AM
  • Thank you for keeping to your word and letting us know - much appriciated.

Rich

Thursday, December 09, 2010 8:06 PM
  • VS 2010 is still unstable.  I have a VSTO Outlook Add-In that crashes repeatedly.  It is too difficult to try to correct reference issues if the product insists on crashing.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 10:54 PM
  • Same problem here-in desperation I'm trying service pack 1 beta-4 freeze restarts of VS ide tonight. I can't develop at home now thanks to this instability. My winforms are very basic beginner stuff, so why the hard time?

Will come back if the freezes go away!

Sunday, December 12, 2010 2:26 AM
  • *crosses fingers for performance improvements*
    Monday, December 13, 2010 2:53 AM
  • @RWrench1 and @SoulFireMage - The team that owns this forum (VS Editor) has no involvement with VSTO or Winforms.  The best way to report and resolve issues like this is to file a Connect bug or post in a forum that is dedicated to the area where you're seeing crashes or hangs.

Monday, December 13, 2010 9:43 PM
  • @RWrench1,

Did you uninstall the SP1 beta and re-installed? When you uninstall the SP1, it removes Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO) Design Time and some features of Visual Studio Tools for SharePoint. This is what Microsoft readme is saying. Have a look on below link

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/5/4/E54445BE-4EA4-427E-99E6-D12DA2ED549A/VS2010SP1BetaReadme.htm

Dreaming a world without any war in anywhere
    Monday, December 20, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Undo redo don't work at all...it just make random changes.

Pity VS 2008 doesnt compile pstsdk code and Visual Studio 2010 just doesnt work...

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:07 AM
  • Hi Brittany,

Thanks for the info. Do you know when the 'release' version of SP1 will be available ?

Thanks.

-s

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Unfortunately not.  See previous responses about announcements often coming shortly before releases; there may or may not be much advance notice for the final version of SP1.  As with the beta, I'll update this thread when something is announced or released, but it might not be for a while.

Happy New Year everyone!

- Brittany

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Hi Brittany

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

I can't manage to find a change log, or release notes of the SP1 Beta before downloading it. I would like to see what fixes are included in this beta build, to have an idea if I would benefit from it.

Thanks in advanced

Fede

Monday, January 17, 2011 1:47 PM
  • @Fede:  The closest we have to a change log for the Beta is in two blog posts from Jason Zander, one of Visual Studio's Vice Presidents.  Here they are:

- Announcement of VS 2010 SP1 Beta, including descriptions of major new features and updated functionality:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasonz/archive/2010/12/07/announcing-visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1-beta.aspx

- SP1 Beta Interim Fix List:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasonz/archive/2010/12/20/Visual-Studio-2010-Service-Pack-1-Beta-Feedback.aspx

Hope this helps!
    - Brittany

Monday, January 17, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Thanks for the heads up on removing vsto Rajeeshun. I experienced a problem re-installing silverlight 4 tools. Due to template corruption I decided to remove silverlight tools and re-install. The install throws a compatability exception. Problem was rectified with removal of VS2010 SP1 beta. I decided to repair the VS install since startup errors were occuring.  BTW, article http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/t/181687.aspx mentions removing KB976272 but this wasn't installed. Hope this helps someone to avoid conspicuous down time.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:12 AM
  • Can you tell me please the release date of the ufficial version of SP1?

Thanks!!!

Friday, February 04, 2011 1:10 PM
  • As already stated in the thread, they're most likely isn't going to be a release date given until shortly before the official release.  So the answer is, there isn't a date that's been released to the public.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Wow.  Following this on another weblog.  Hopefully soon.  There's some good things in VS2010, but I've used every version of this compiler since 1.52 (yes I guess that dates me!), and this is the only version I recall being able to type faster than the editor can respond to.  And this is on an overclocked i7 (920, 4GHz)...  I'm hesitant on installing VS1 beta given the problems various people are having, but it'd still be good to see a non-beta update of this product released.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:50 PM
  • I don't know what will become of this, but I did read on an asp.net weblogs post that they have individuals assigned to directly work on performance issues that people are having.  Part of what the post talked about was that people who were having issues's setups differed greatly from sub-part/average hardware to cutting edge fast/robust so tracking down why/when has been a tough task. 

From my perspective performance has been hit and miss.  Sometimes, the editor takes a full 2 minutes to start if it's the first time I've used it on a boot.  If I've already started it (and it's crashed which happens at least a few times a week, possibly due to 3rd party add-ons but I don't really know) then it can start as fast as 8-10 seconds.  I feel like I lose most of my productivity on smaller issues like the Intellisense not filtering down to enums when you're passing an enum in (instead having to hit other keystrokes to switch from "All" to "Common").  The "Add Reference" dialog starts far faster than previous verisons of VS, but the "Choose Items" dialog to add something to the Toolbox is painfully slow. 

I'm eagerly waiting the SP because I feel like they've done some things very well in VS2010 and I'm hoping that some of the performance problems are things that can be smoothed out since this was the first version in a drastic transition in the underpinnings of the IDE.  Even with my complaints about VS I still find it far more appealing than Eclipse.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:20 PM
  • ...this is the only version I recall being able to type faster than the editor can respond to.  And this is on an overclocked i7 (920, 4GHz)...
    I'm glad to see that it isn't just me. I've been in a love/hate relationship with VS2010 due to it's slowness to respond to typing. I guess they just type slow on the MS campus.
    Friday, March 04, 2011 9:50 PM
  • The VS2010 SP1 has just released to MSDN Subscriber Download and Microsoft Download Center according to Jason's blog.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasonz/archive/2011/03/08/announcing-visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1.aspx

Michiko Morgan (MSFT)
    • Proposed as answer by Ramesh P Singh Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:08 PM
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 1:22 AM
  • As per there (Microsoft) announcement, we should be able to get it today (Non-MSDN subscribers)..but it is still not available

VS2010 really annoying

Dreaming a world without any war in anywhere
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Yeah. Usually it becomes available in the morning around 10h. But still not available. I want my help UI :P
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:35 PM
    • Proposed as answer by war59312 Friday, March 11, 2011 6:45 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:02 PM
  • VS 2010 SP1 has been released to public today on March 10, 2011. Bradon has posted the correct download link above.

• Proposed as answer by Ramesh P Singh Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:08 PM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 11:07 PM
  • VS 2010 SP1 has been released to public today on March 10, 2011. Bradon has posted the correct download link above.

Does the link provided by Bradon support upgrade for Express edition?
    Friday, March 11, 2011 12:11 AM
  • Note: On the download page above under "Additional Information" is the full ISO for those who need to install SP1 on multiple PCs.
    God Bless America
    Friday, March 11, 2011 6:44 AM
  • Yes.
    Kevin
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Pretty bad functionality with the editor. Anyone at Microsoft try using it? Installed SP1 and started working to see the differences. I wanted to comment some code, so selected the line, pressed shift+pgdn to select, keeping shift down and then using the arrow key to select the last couple lines and the previous selection is cleared. Time to stop having all the test automated and only relying on automated tests. Even worse other issue and bugs filed against the editor remain.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:22 PM
  •    I have also experienced more bugs in the SP1 IDE than before. Code will lose syntax highlighting. Adding an event from the property dialog fills in the textbox but no code is generated for the handler. It doesn't appear to be crashing as often as before, but it might as well be crashing since the issues I'm experiencing compel me to restart the IDE. I was hoping that the service pack would fix most of the issues.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:37 PM
  • System.Reflection.Adds.UnresolvedAssemblyException

Try universe cannot resolve assembly: Microsoft.SqlServer.SqlEnum, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken = 90945dcd8080cc91

After installing SP1, I got above error in XAML file.

Code is running fine but XAML parsing having problem.

Monday, March 21, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Even I got the failure. The set up seems not to be able to handle downloading the missing .msi file(s).

Is there anything that can help us ? I am not even able to post my log file here, it is extremely long.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 7:56 AM