none
Regarding .aps,.sdf files in VS2010

Question

• Hi,

I am working with VS2010 Professional Edition.I work in VC++/MFC.

Every time I am creating a project why .asp and .sdf files being created?

How to ignore them,as they are taking huge space.

Regards,

Koushik

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Koushik,

aps file is binary version of the current resource script file, and it is used for quick loading. The resource editors do not directly read .rc or resource.h files. The resource compiler compiles them into .aps files, which are consumed by the resource editors. This file is a compile step and only stores symbolic data. As with a normal compile process, information that is not symbolic (for example, comments) is discarded during the compile process. Whenever the .aps file gets out of synch with the .rc file, the .rc file is regenerated (for example, when you Save, the resource editor overwrites the .rc file and the resource.h file). Any changes to the resources themselves will remain incorporated in the .rc file, but comments will always be lost once the .rc file is overwritten. If you delete aps file, Visual Studio will recreate again.

sdf is the extension for database files. If intellisense broke you can close Visual Studio and delete the file then Visual Studio will rebuild the intellisense database next time you open the solution. You can follow these steps to close the option of sdf file: Tools -> option -> Text Editor -> C++ -> Advanced -> Browsing/Navigation-> Disable Database -> true.

I hope my suggestion can help you to resolve your issue. If anything is unclear, please feel free and let me know.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Rob Pan Monday, June 20, 2011 2:51 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 8:43 AM

All replies

• sorry,that should be .aps  and .sdf.

Koushik

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:18 AM
  • Hi Koushik,

aps file is binary version of the current resource script file, and it is used for quick loading. The resource editors do not directly read .rc or resource.h files. The resource compiler compiles them into .aps files, which are consumed by the resource editors. This file is a compile step and only stores symbolic data. As with a normal compile process, information that is not symbolic (for example, comments) is discarded during the compile process. Whenever the .aps file gets out of synch with the .rc file, the .rc file is regenerated (for example, when you Save, the resource editor overwrites the .rc file and the resource.h file). Any changes to the resources themselves will remain incorporated in the .rc file, but comments will always be lost once the .rc file is overwritten. If you delete aps file, Visual Studio will recreate again.

sdf is the extension for database files. If intellisense broke you can close Visual Studio and delete the file then Visual Studio will rebuild the intellisense database next time you open the solution. You can follow these steps to close the option of sdf file: Tools -> option -> Text Editor -> C++ -> Advanced -> Browsing/Navigation-> Disable Database -> true.

I hope my suggestion can help you to resolve your issue. If anything is unclear, please feel free and let me know.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Rob Pan Monday, June 20, 2011 2:51 AM
    Friday, June 17, 2011 8:43 AM