none
Is LightSwitch really ready.

Question

• I have a love hate relationship with LS V1 and LS V2.

I like to refine my programs and allow use at the same time.

With LS V1 I had bugs? whatever and then I lose my ability to work with any of my programs or develop new ones.

After switching to LS V2 I felt they had fix the problem.(a few successful months) Then I had a failure again and again lost the ablity to develop programs in LightSwitch. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio  2012 but the same errors come back and I can not start a new program.

Has anyone else had these kinds of problems.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 11:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sorry for the issues that you are hitting.   Can you provide more details regarding the errors that are being encountered?

Robert Schoen (Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch Team)

Friday, November 30, 2012 3:57 PM
  • 'start a new program' common error

There is a common problem that arises that prevents you from creating a new LS project with some error as regards 'templates'. A repair of VS2012 has always fixed this for me, no need for full reinstall.

Nobody has tracked down the cause of this problem as far as we know.

Meanwhile, I would recommend creating and backing up an empty clean LS2 project. That way you can continue working using a copy, if you have no time for an immediate repair.

Dave Baker | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 Opinions are my own. Please mark as answer if this helps solve your problem.

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:06 PM
  • There have been several occurances of issues that arise from having additional "VS Addins" installed/enabled that cause errors on create project for Lightswitch.  Here are a couple examples that we are aware of...

[BUG] Interop PowerGUI.VSX
    Error Creating New HTML C# Project
    LightSwitch HTML Preview 2 installation issues

Getting additional machine type config information and error details is really helpful in helping us narrow down the causes.

If/when folks hit such blocking errors please continue to let us know as much details as possible. 

Thanks!

Friday, November 30, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Thanks Robert,

I'm waiting for this to happen again: Template wizard error

The problem is you only notice this one when creating a new project ('start a new program') so the cause may have occurred many days earlier. Rest assured there are several users ready to report back details if it reoccurs.

Many thanks

Dave Baker | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 Opinions are my own. Please mark as answer if this helps solve your problem.

Friday, November 30, 2012 7:02 PM
  • Oh yeah... that one.  I have some suspicion about that one now...  THANKS!!!!

Friday, November 30, 2012 9:52 PM
  • I have a love hate relationship with LS V1 and LS V2.

I like to refine my programs and allow use at the same time.

With LS V1 I had bugs? whatever and then I lose my ability to work with any of my programs or develop new ones.

After switching to LS V2 I felt they had fix the problem.(a few successful months) Then I had a failure again and again lost the ablity to develop programs in LightSwitch. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Visual Studio  2012 but the same errors come back and I can not start a new program.

Has anyone else had these kinds of problems.

One possible set of actions that I do a lot. I'm in editing with the program running. I stop the program without canceling or saving the running edit.

Also seen changes in Database, not update within the screens.The adage that if's not broke don't fix it, is hard for me to follow.

Friday, November 30, 2012 10:30 PM
  • I went one step further and bought a new Workstation. Of course I now have more delay because of Windows 8.

Friday, November 30, 2012 10:35 PM
  • Hiya BMD,

I also recommend installing the VS 2012 Update 1.  I have it installed on a Win 8 box.  I've had a couple of gotchas in upgrading our apps, but am over the hump.

I have found that the performace is actually a little better with VS 2012 than LS V1.   I know a few other folks are having severe performance problems with their migrated apps - and they are are working together to figure out why.

Garth Henderson - Vanguard Business Technology

Monday, December 03, 2012 2:32 AM
  • Garth, I would be interested in a couple of your comments here in your last posting.  You can ping me offline (directly to me please) with your response?

1. You mentioned some "gotchas" encountered in upgrading your app.  What were they?

2. Performance - you mentioned a few few folks were havng severe performance problems with their migrated apps.  Are there some postings regarding this?  Any details you can provide?

TIA

-Robert

Monday, December 03, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Hi Robert

Recently I have upgraded my LS V1 app to 2012. Everything gone correctly except one major issue. When I am entering some dev. data to the upgraded app through screen then I need to click the save button couple of times. The first hit on save button will not save the data successfully into the development database.

I have also trying to figure out this issue but still not get any result.

Can you please confirm me what wrong happened to my app?

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

Monday, December 03, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Hi Robert

Recently I have upgraded my LS V1 app to 2012. Everything gone correctly except one major issue. When I am entering some dev. data to the upgraded app through screen then I need to click the save button couple of times. The first hit on save button will not save the data successfully into the development database.

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

The same happens to me, usually occurs on screens that have several fields and TabPages. but the root cause of the problem can not identify.
    This type of problem never happened in V1
    Monday, December 03, 2012 6:16 PM
  • Hey Rashmi/Marden, would one of you be able to provide repro steps of this issue?  If possible End To End type repro steps starting with the first step of:  "Create V1 project"?   

I'll also check around with a few team member to see if they may know something about this behavior...

Monday, December 03, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Hi Robert,

One possible set of actions that I do a lot. I'm in editing, with the program running. I hit the close and stop the program without canceling or saving the running edit. This is the one likely cause for my problems.

Also seen changes made in the Database designer, does not update within the screens code.

I believe all my problems are within Light Switch. VB development looks OK, but new projects with light switch won't work until I move to another workstation and start over.

The adage that if's not broke don't fix it, is hard for me to follow.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 8:37 PM
  • BMD, interesting issues you have listed.  Can you provide more details and repro steps for any/all of the items you listed?   Please provide error messages and step by step details if possible? This would really help us in narrowing down the issue (s).

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 9:01 PM
  • Hi Robert,

I have reinstalled Visual Studio 2012 and now Update 1.

I start the program VS 2012 with a new light Switch VB program and called it TestIt.

Connected to existing database and loaded three Tables. These connected find and displayed the relationships.

I added a new  detail screen which is a simple table suppliers and their Contact & Service Reps.

I get the following error message> Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I get the same with my old programs.

My experience with LS V1 was similar, once you get an error you can't rid of it. Uninstall then reinstall. still there.

Things were OK after I install 2012 trail version. I had a few months of no unrecoverable problems.

Now it seems like I'm back with the same situation.

I bought a new workstation with windows 8 It's not  connected to my domain server, No database. It was my way out of this.

I have a extra laptop that I will try next Windows 7. and was connected.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 11:18 PM
  • Thanks for the additional info BMD! 

Can you confirm that the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"  occurs when you are trying to F5/RUN the application OR if it was during the act of adding the detail screen?

Here are a couple of things to check as well:

1. Please confirm that a "Simple" project works just using a very simple intrinsic project. To do that:

• Launch new VS 2012 instance (devenv.exe process)
    • Create a new Lightswitch Application (VB)
    • Add a "New Table" with a single String property
    • Add a "List and Details" screen with the newly added table as the data source
    • Run (F5) the application
    • Does this work or not work?

2. Have you added any additional "Lightswitch Extensions"?   To check:

• With a Lightswitch project created/open
    • Open the Application Designer (right click on the project node in solution explorer and select "Properties" from the context menu)
    • Select the "Extensions" tab and please tell me what you have listed there.  By default you will have 2 (Lighswitch Cosmopolitan Shell and Theme, Microsoft LightSwitch Extensions")

3.  If you have additional Lightswitch Extensions beyond the 2 default ones, can you disable all the "extra" extensions and try your repro again?

Thanks a lot for your help and patience BMD on trying to figure this out!

-Robert

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Hiya Dean,

I often get the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." message.

However, I am always able to have the debugger track down the error in my programming.   Sometimes these errors don't show up until a user (in production) uses the software in a completely different way than I tried in development and testing - or it is because of a data situation where a value should have been set - but it hasn't.

Can you post a screenshot of the error when debugging?

Or just send Robert your test app to look at.

Thanks,

Garth

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Hey Rashmi/Marden, would one of you be able to provide repro steps of this issue?  If possible End To End type repro steps starting with the first step of:  "Create V1 project"?   

I'll also check around with a few team member to see if they may know something about this behavior...

Hi Robert,

Give me your email so I can send you my project.
    I record a video showing how you will play error in my project.
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 6:11 PM
  • Before zipping up your V2 project contents, be sure to "purge/delete" all the bloat that is in the "bin" directories (please check under server/common/clients and in the "_Pvt_Extensions" folder.  Also since this is a V2 project, do not include the ServerGenerated or ClientGenerated contents in the zip...

(got what I needed in the email - thanks!)

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Here is a simple bat file that I've shared on the forums that Oscar Agreda shared with me.   I have Oscar's permission to share this with the community.

Please let me know if anyone has any improvements at this time to this "CleanLS.bat" file.

rd /q /s VGPM\Bin\Debug
    rd /q /s VGPM\Bin\Release

rd /q /s VGPM\Client\Bin\Debug
    rd /q /s VGPM\Client\Bin\Release

rd /q /s VGPM\Client\obj\Debug
    rd /q /s VGPM\Client\obj\Release

rd /q /s VGPM\ClientGenerated\Bin\Debug
    rd /q /s VGPM\ClientGenerated\Bin\Release

rd /q /s VGPM\ClientGenerated\obj\Debug
    rd /q /s VGPM\ClientGenerated\obj\Release

rd /q /s VGPM\Common\Bin\Debug
    rd /q /s VGPM\Common\Bin\Release

rd /q /s VGPM\Common\obj\Debug
    rd /q /s VGPM\Common\obj\Release

rd /q /s VGPM\Server\Bin\Debug
    rd /q /s VGPM\Server\Bin\Release

rd /q /s VGPM\Server\obj\Debug
    rd /q /s VGPM\Server\obj\Release

rd /q /s VGPM\ServerGenerated\bin\Debug
    rd /q /s VGPM\ServerGenerated\bin\Release
    rd /q /s VGPM\ServerGenerated\bin

rd /q /s VGPM\ServerGenerated\obj\Debug
    rd /q /s VGPM\ServerGenerated\obj\Release

My Application Name happens to be VGPM, so just replace VGPM with the folder name for your application or just put the bat file in the Application folder and take out the application folder suffix.

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:27 PM
  • Robert Im send the email for you.
    Wednesday, December 05, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Hi Robert

I setup my Laptop for Visual Studio 2012 and Update 1.

Connected to my database and created my project the same as yesterday.

On the Laptop it looks like I can continue recovering my Programs. Every thing is working.

My other workstation stills has the same problem. I feel that when I uninstall VS 2012 that the registry still has information. I don't like this, I think some study should be done to find out if something is not removed. My reinstalls go back to the the same condition I was hoping to get rid of. Again it seems to be in the Lightswitch development.

I was using Pixata custom controls for Lightswitch.

I couldn't find that extension again and hope it's not a problem. I like the way I can enhance the user interface. 

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 8:01 PM
  • Hi Garth,

One improvement is to use a variable in the batch file, so you only need to change the application name once. You could even go a step further, & have individual batch files that call a master batch file, passing the application name as a parameter.

set solution=VGPM

rd /q /s %solution%\Bin\Debug
    rd /q /s %solution%\Bin\Release

etc

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

By doing this you'll help others to find answers faster.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 1:59 AM
  • Pixata custom controls for Lightswitch

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

Please click "Mark as Answer" if a reply answers your question. Please click "Vote as Helpful" , if you find a reply helpful.

• Marked as answer by Big Mean Dean Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:02 PM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Thanks, Yann!

Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:49 PM
  • You're welcome Garth. :-)

Friday, December 07, 2012 7:45 AM
  • Hi Robert

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi

The same happens to me, usually occurs on screens that have several fields and TabPages. but the root cause of the problem can not identify.
    This type of problem never happened in V1

Hey folks - wanted to follow-up regarding the issue that Rashmi and Marden encountered where the "save button" needed to be clicked "twice" to save the data fully.   After teaming up with Marden (thanks Marden!!), believe we were able to track down the cause for Marden's occurance anyway.  

Believe the root of the issue was caused by some code in a validation method that happen to also modify the property value.  It is best for validate methods to be restricted to pure validation and not for adjusting or settings values on a property as this can cause some unpredictability.   If there needs to be property value adjustments to user inputs, working within the property's “Changed” event is the preferred method.

Thanks again Marden for helping to track this issue down!

-Robert

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:48 PM
  • Hi Robert,

I thank you in uncovering the problem, we are all united to help improve and increasingly this beautiful development platform

Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:20 AM