none
0x80029C4A (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY)

Question

• hi all,

We are developing a com addin for outlook 2002 using c#.

for all our customers it is working fine except for one.
    in his machine he is getting the following error.

Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook._Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{00063001-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: Error loading type library/DLL. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80029C4A (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY))

we are not able to make out what exactly the problem is.

can any one please help.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 5:17 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sounds like you have a problem with your typelib registration.  Presumably, the Com interop layer is hitting the registry to try to locate the typelib.  It would start by looking under HKCR\Interface\{00063001-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\Typelib.  The default value should refer to the guid for the typelib that defines the interface in question: which should be located under the following key: HKCR\Typelib\{00062FFF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}.  There should be a version subkey and then a 0 subkey, and a win32 subkey under that.  The default value of the win32 key should point to the typelib (which is msoutl.olb). 

I'd start by checking your Office directory for msoutl.olb.  If it is there, try running 'regtlib msoutl.olb'.  You should have regtlib on your machine is part of your Visual Studio install, I believe.  Anyway, reregistering the typelib will rewrite all of the necessary keys to the registry.  You will need administrative privileges for this operation. 

The other possibility is that msoutl.olb itself is corrupt, in which case reinstalling Outlook should fix the problem.

Sincerely,

Geoff Darst

Microsoft VSTO Team

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 10:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sounds like you have a problem with your typelib registration.  Presumably, the Com interop layer is hitting the registry to try to locate the typelib.  It would start by looking under HKCR\Interface\{00063001-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\Typelib.  The default value should refer to the guid for the typelib that defines the interface in question: which should be located under the following key: HKCR\Typelib\{00062FFF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}.  There should be a version subkey and then a 0 subkey, and a win32 subkey under that.  The default value of the win32 key should point to the typelib (which is msoutl.olb). 

I'd start by checking your Office directory for msoutl.olb.  If it is there, try running 'regtlib msoutl.olb'.  You should have regtlib on your machine is part of your Visual Studio install, I believe.  Anyway, reregistering the typelib will rewrite all of the necessary keys to the registry.  You will need administrative privileges for this operation. 

The other possibility is that msoutl.olb itself is corrupt, in which case reinstalling Outlook should fix the problem.

Sincerely,

Geoff Darst

Microsoft VSTO Team

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 10:33 PM
  • I am getting the same error

Could not access Outlook on this computer (Create Object Failed) - Unable to cast COM object of type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.ApplicationClass' to interface type 'Outlook.Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{00063001-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: Error loading type library/DLL. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80029C4A (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY)).

I tried running the regtlib command as you suggested, and got a response indicating that it was successful; however the problem remains <even after a reboot>.

Any other suggestions short of reinstalling Outlook <Outlook appears to be running fine notwithstanding this problem with my visual studio program>

Thanks, Rob

July 20th, 2007

Friday, July 20, 2007 4:13 PM
  •  

I was able to resolve this myself by running a program that came with Outlook - C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033\Scanpst.exe

for more information please see this site:

http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/outlook/repair.html

Rob

www.callclerk.com

www.arulerforwindows.com

July 25th, 2007

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Hello Sir,
             I am trying to sync Outlook 2000 contacts with Vista using C#. But while opening a session in Outlook 2000 with the following statement of code

ns = app.GetNamespace("MAPI");

I am getting a COM exception which is as follows:

Unable to cast COM object of type 'Outlook.ApplicationClass' to interface type 'Outlook._Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{00063001-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: Error loading type library/DLL. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80029C4A (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY)).

I am unable to read Outlook Contacts and the application gets crashed. I ran Outlook Inbox Repair Tool and repaired the Outlook.pst file. I also copied the wab32.dll and wab32res.dll into

C:\Windows\System32 folder, but still I am getting the crash. Can you please guide me in this regard? Thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks and Regards
    Amogh G.R.
    Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:07 PM
  • Hi,

I am also getting the CANTLOADLIBRARAY Exception and i have tried everything written in this post but still no help.

Any workaround ?

Thanks

Kulvinder Singh

Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:47 AM
  • Hi,

Mine application was running properly in Windows xp,

I did following operations,

I changed my development environment to the new system running on Windows vista.

Initially it contains office trial version of 2007 It started posing the problem,I thought of problem with 2007 dll's I did unintall office 2007 and installed office 2003. I am getting the same problem as mentioned above posts. To my surprise I deployed the application in one of the client system which is running on vista , It is running normal as other XP systems.

Why my development environment is seeing the above problem..Help me out. Thanks in advance..

Shirish

• Proposed as answer by Shiv Khare Friday, January 30, 2009 10:48 PM
    Wednesday, January 09, 2008 10:53 AM
  • Removing an Office version and installing an older one, is probably what caused it. The newer version may have left some junk in the registry.
    I had the same case, and this is how got over:

Notice the registry keys mentioned eariler:

HKCR\Typelib\{00062FFF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}.  There should be a version subkey 

If there is more than one version sub key (which is possible if you removed a newer version of Outlook) you should remove the one that refers to the version not installed:

(check the \0\win32 subkey to see the expected location of the typelib. If it points to a removed version, remove the whole version subkey).

As always use caution changing the registry, and export the keys before removing them.

• Proposed as answer by OK_10 Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:28 PM
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:26 PM
  • Hi I recently had the same problem and after trying all of the solutions i found on the net, it appears that setting the project to compile x86 code completely solves the issue.

I hope this helps some of you out there, because this is a really annoying problem

Greetings

Johan

• Proposed as answer by Erick007 Thursday, November 04, 2010 11:54 PM
    Friday, May 28, 2010 7:20 PM
  •  

Hey Johan, I just did what you proposed and it worked perfectly fine for me compiling my app in Visual Studio 2008 running on Win7. Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

-Erick

Friday, November 05, 2010 12:05 AM
  • Hi,

Changing to x86 also solves the problem in my app.

But I don't think it is a solution, because my application should be able to be run under any CPU and therefore compiled with "Any CPU" settings.

If anyone has an idea on how this can be solved it would be appreciated :)

JokesP: Thank you for the tip as I'm now able to focus on some other stuff

Regards, Nicklas

Monday, November 29, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Thanks OK_10. Worked a treat for me. In my case the removed later version did not have the \0\win32 subkey but I deleted the whole version subkey anyway.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Hi all,

setting it to x86 solved it for me too. Thanks for this!

greets,

g

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:53 PM
  • Solution (for me anyway!): Check to make sure you have the 64 bit version of office loaded - it just the 32 bit is loaded, this issue will rear it's ugly head... here's my quick (temporary) fix:

I had  a similar issue. The my problem was that the version of office that was loaded on a few machines was 32 bit Office 2010. Several people needed to continue to use software that was not 64 bit compliant - and therefor needed the 32 bit version of Office (2010)).

My Resolution was to copy (from a valid, updated version of Office 2010 (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14) to their machines. I know this is not a perfect fix, and eventually, I will modifying the code to check which version of office they have and create code designed for the appropriate version of office, but I can't get that into production today. Copying the files just takes a few minutes. ;-)

Hope this helps someone!!!

Dan Barry

Friday, September 20, 2013 3:58 PM
  • I have similar error with excel 2003, I try some method, but no method working. Occasionally, I elevate my application privilege, it's working! so maybe you can try this way. Good luck!
    Monday, December 30, 2013 7:04 AM
  • Below solution works for me. 

Removing an Office version and installing an older one, is probably what caused it. The newer version may have left some junk in the registry.
    I had the same case, and this is how got over:

Notice the registry keys mentioned eariler:

HKCR\Typelib\{00062FFF-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}.  There should be a version subkey 

If there is more than one version sub key (which is possible if you removed a newer version of Outlook) you should remove the one that refers to the version not installed:

Thank you!

Charlie 

Sunday, August 10, 2014 12:21 PM