none
Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow in

Question

• We have library which read AD keys, sometimes function throwing exception. 

Questions: Why internal Microsoft code throw System.OverflowException for AD? How find user can be related to overflow?

Why System.OverflowException  this error is not documented in MSDN ?

If there is a bug in System.DirectoryServices or we did something wrong?

System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow. at System.DirectoryServices.SearchResultCollection.ResultsEnumerator.GetCurrentResult() at System.DirectoryServices.SearchResultCollection.ResultsEnumerator.get_Current() at System.DirectoryServices.SearchResultCollection.ResultsEnumerator.System.Collections.IEnumerator.get_Current() at Iit.ApplicationRoleLookup.ActiveDirectoryHelper.<FindUserGroupsInAd>d__18.MoveNext() in d:\Builds\25\709\Sources\Source\ApplicationRoleLookup\ActiveDirectoryHelper.cs:line 715 at Iit.ApplicationRoleLookup.ActiveDirectoryHelper.<FindUserAppAccInAd>d__c.MoveNext() in d:\Builds\25\709\Sources\Source\ApplicationRoleLookup\ActiveDirectoryHelper.cs:line 595 at Iit.ApplicationRoleLookup.RoleFinder.<FromUserName>d__1f.MoveNext() in d:\Builds\25\709\Sources\Source\ApplicationRoleLookup\RoleFinder.cs:line 1225 at Iit.FrontOffice.Authorization.AuthorizationServer.GetPolicies() at Iit.FrontOffice.Authorization.AuthorizationBase.GetOperations() in d:\builds\34\1405\Sources\Source\Modules\Authorization\Iit.FrontOffice.Authorization.Base\AuthorizationBase.cs:line 133 at Iit.FrontOffice.Authorization.ServerAuthorizationService.GetOperations() at

or

Error: System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow. at System.DirectoryServices.SearchResultCollection.ResultsEnumerator.GetCurrentResult() at System.DirectoryServices.SearchResultCollection.ResultsEnumerator.get_Current() at System.DirectoryServices.SearchResultCollection.ResultsEnumerator.System.Collections.IEnumerator.get_Current() at Iit.ApplicationRoleLookup.ActiveDirectoryHelper.<FindUserGroupsInAd>d__18.MoveNext() in d:\Builds\25\709\Sources\Source\ApplicationRoleLookup\ActiveDirectoryHelper.cs:line 715 at Iit.ApplicationRoleLookup.ActiveDirectoryHelper.<FindUserAppAccInAd>d__c.MoveNext() in d:\Builds\25\709\Sources\Source\ApplicationRoleLookup\ActiveDirectoryHelper.cs:line 595 at Iit.ApplicationRoleLookup.RoleFinder.<FromUserName>d__1f.MoveNext() in d:\Builds\25\709\Sources\Source\ApplicationRoleLookup\RoleFinder.cs:line 1225

RUV
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:21 AM

Answers

• We finally found what was wrong after we post official question to Microsoft.

It was bug in some Microsoft code related to /3GB switch.

So workaround is:

remove this switch from service

RUV

• Marked as answer by Roman Uvarov Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:58 AM

All replies

• You can find the document of OverflowException class over here.

From the callstack, it seems that you're loop through users, and perform some actions for each user; To find out related user name, you may print user name in the for...each… block, the last user name printed before the exception happen is what you want.

Eric Yang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 13, 2011 7:33 AM
  • But if OverflowException is throwed from inside of Microsoft function, in my example from

System.DirectoryServices.SearchResultCollection.ResultsEnumerator.System.Collections.IEnumerator.get_Current()

Why this is not documented in MSDN?

It looks like bug in tem.DirectoryServices.SearchResultCollection.ResultsEnumerator as it is not make sense to have Overflow inside get_Current..

I suggest it must be Collection was modified error or something a little bit more understandable, as I clearly can not even imagine why function was failed..

RUV
    Friday, May 13, 2011 1:26 PM
  • ++++

RUV
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 8:39 AM
  • I have the same issue.  Please help.  Thanks.
    Friday, March 02, 2012 8:13 PM
  • I am strucked in the same issue can you please provide me the solution please .

thanks in advance

Thanks, Manoj

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:19 PM
  • I suspect you didn't get any results or moved past the end of the returned results.  The error could also occur if you didn't have permission to access the directory.  The Net library as a protection mechanism only allow you program to access a limited memory space.  So if you exceed the boundary of the memory space you are allowed an overflow error can occur because a subtraction occurs to comapre the address you are accessing and the upper boundary of memory you have permission to access.

jdweng

Friday, August 31, 2012 8:46 PM
  • Roman,

Please checkout this post:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/scoscip/thread/c8929889-9e7f-427f-bb89-1464b2c68d49

Regards, http://www.shwetalodha.blogspot.in/

Sunday, September 02, 2012 8:05 AM
  • We finally found what was wrong after we post official question to Microsoft.

It was bug in some Microsoft code related to /3GB switch.

So workaround is:

remove this switch from service

RUV

• Marked as answer by Roman Uvarov Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:58 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:58 AM