none
Re : Microsoft Word Object Library in VB.net

Question

• hi, i want to use Microsoft Word Object Library for web application , but i dont have office installed in the server side. 

but i do have a 2007 version installed in the developer machine from where i can build the application.

my question here is will my application would be running fine in server , do i need to also install office at server also. 

please help urgently

kindly provide if any link available

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:57 PM

Answers

• Yes, you would need office installed on the machine that will actually run the code that requires access to the object library. The word object library is just a bridge between the actual word code base, and your code.
    Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:59 PM
  • I gave you the answer, it just is not the answer you wanted to hear. If an application is running on a given machine, and that application needs to use the word object library, and word is not installed, the application will fail. Setting a reference to the word object library does not bring the functionality of word into your app, it bridges the functionality of word with your app.

If you explain in more detail what you are trying to do, there may be an alternative someone can supply to you. What is it you are using word for on the server?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:03 PM

All replies

• Yes, you would need office installed on the machine that will actually run the code that requires access to the object library. The word object library is just a bridge between the actual word code base, and your code.
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:59 PM
  • but i am looking for answer , how can i achive this without installing word in the server , as server people is not allowing to do so...

so please help me to find the solution for it.

with regards

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:34 PM
  • I gave you the answer, it just is not the answer you wanted to hear. If an application is running on a given machine, and that application needs to use the word object library, and word is not installed, the application will fail. Setting a reference to the word object library does not bring the functionality of word into your app, it bridges the functionality of word with your app.

If you explain in more detail what you are trying to do, there may be an alternative someone can supply to you. What is it you are using word for on the server?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:03 PM