none
How to create help files in Visual Studio 2010? Contents are now in .doc-files.

Question

• How to create help files in Visual Studio 2010? Contents are now in .doc-files. Sandcastle?
    Friday, June 10, 2011 2:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Timo,

Do you want to create a Help Project for build a single compiled help file (.chm)? If so, Visual Studio doesn’t offer such feature for you. There is a tool called HTML Help Workshop which is used for building a windows HTML help file. You can download from here:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms669985(VS.85).aspx.

The following section is a work though about how to use HTML Help Workshop to create a Help:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms524239(VS.85).aspx

If I misunderstand you, please let me know.

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:20 AM
  • Hello,

Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Depends on what type of documentation you need to create. If you need it to integrate into Visual Studio help system then sandcastle is the choice. If you need to create standalone CHM help file for your application then you have to use HTML Help Workshop in conjunction with one of the Help Authoring Tools.

By the way, we develop help authoring tool named Helpinator and offer discounts (30%) for members of this forum - use coupon code "MSDN".

Friday, June 17, 2011 8:09 AM