none
Modifying the <probing privatePath Attribute

Question

• We are doing Private Assembly deployments and have a unique requirement.  While this could be solved by using the GAC, for a number of other reasons I won’t get into, our direction is to focus on using Private Assemblies.

The goal is to modify the probing privatePath in the Web.cofig after the Private Assembly is pushed down to disk.  Meaning, after the code is deployed, we want to modify the Web.config’s section that is marked in red .

<configuration>

<runtime>

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">

<probing privatePath=”MyVersionedDirectory\bin ”/>

</assemblyBinding>

</runtime>

</configuration>

Does anyone know of a command line tool to update this value?  I dumped the configuration list of AppCMD, but I didn’t see an option to configure <configuration <runtime <assemblyBinding <probing.

So we're wondering if there is a standard command line tool that can used, or if we should roll our own.

Mac http://team-foundation-server.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:26 PM

All replies

• AFAIK, there is no included tool for this.

Could be done easily with Powershell, if you are into that.

Otherwise, I'd suggest that you write a program for it. 

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:43 PM
  •  

Hi,

I'm writing to check the issue status, please feel free to let us know if you have any concern.

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, May 24, 2010 5:10 AM
  • Thanks for your help.  Say, before we roll our own solution to update this, do you know if the Web.config will support adding a <probing private path?  I tried this locally with a simple module I wrote, but could not get it working.  The error back when doing this was that the module could not be found.

If I moved the module back to just the root .\bin folder, then it was able to render fine.  Below is the Web.config for my simpl e module that we could not get working by specifing a custom probing privatePath.

Let me know if you've ever run into this not working.

<configuration>
     <system.webServer>
      <modules>
       <add name="MyCSharpModule" type="MyCSharpModule.SyncModule" />
      </modules>
     </system.webServer>
     <runtime>
      <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
       <probing privatePath="MyVersion_1.2.3\bin"/>
      </assemblyBinding>
     </runtime>
    </configuration>

Mac http://team-foundation-server.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:13 PM
  • I'm not 100% sure, but I think for a web scenario the private path will be relative to the web site's existing bin folder.  Is that where you placed the files?  E.g., with that configuration, YourAppDir\bin\MyVersion_1.2.3\bin.

Also use the \ slash which is the "correct" one for Windows.  I don't know how that property tolerates the / slash.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 11:28 PM