none
What do I do if I have .NET Framework 1.1.but I NEED .NET Framework '3 or higher' ?

Question

• Do I remove 1.1 completely and then download 3? what are service packs?

I have Windows XP Home edition Version 2002 Service pack 3

Monday, July 26, 2010 11:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You can have installed both .NET Framework 1.1 and 3.0 in your PC. You don't need to uninstall .NET 1.1 in order to install  .NET 3.0.

You can try to install .NET 3.5 SP1  from the following link. It will install .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and including cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, August 02, 2010 6:01 AM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Hi Desperate newbie,

Thank you for your post.

Referring to removal of .NET Framework 1.1 on Windows XP, it depends on the applications that are run on your PC.
    This means, if you have any application or program that is based on .NET Framework 1.1, you need to leave .NET 1.1 on your machine to make the application or program run properly.

You can install both .NET Framework 1.1 and 3.0 on your machine. The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 3.0 uses CLR version 2.0, while .NET framework 1.1 uses v1.1. They will not affect each other.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:56 AM

All replies

• i have doubt if you can install it on home edition,

you dont need to remove any,

just download 3.5

service pack are set of updates that are periodically released after product release.

Monday, July 26, 2010 11:52 AM
  • Hi,

You can have installed both .NET Framework 1.1 and 3.0 in your PC. You don't need to uninstall .NET 1.1 in order to install  .NET 3.0.

You can try to install .NET 3.5 SP1  from the following link. It will install .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and including cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    Monday, July 26, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Hi Desperate newbie,

Thank you for your post.

Referring to removal of .NET Framework 1.1 on Windows XP, it depends on the applications that are run on your PC.
    This means, if you have any application or program that is based on .NET Framework 1.1, you need to leave .NET 1.1 on your machine to make the application or program run properly.

You can install both .NET Framework 1.1 and 3.0 on your machine. The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 3.0 uses CLR version 2.0, while .NET framework 1.1 uses v1.1. They will not affect each other.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:56 AM