none
Please Help ..Explain Crypto\RSA Files

Question

•  

I have found several files on my system that were created using the  following file name....

Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-21-              (then multiple files with different numbers)

Can you tell me what this is and under what circumstances it appears?

Is this a user generated  or system generated?

Why cant I view the files?

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 8:55 AM

Answers

• These files contain data for the MS Crypto Service Provider. Mostly public/private key information. The part of the path after RSA is the user SID the keys were generated for. Only that user (or an Admin) have access to the files. But even if you open the files, they are basically a binary key blob that doesn't mean much to human eyes.

Prior to Win2000, this information was stored in the registry. It has since been moved to the file system.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 4:52 PM

All replies

• These files contain data for the MS Crypto Service Provider. Mostly public/private key information. The part of the path after RSA is the user SID the keys were generated for. Only that user (or an Admin) have access to the files. But even if you open the files, they are basically a binary key blob that doesn't mean much to human eyes.

Prior to Win2000, this information was stored in the registry. It has since been moved to the file system.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 4:52 PM
  • Can I delete these files without affecting my Windows XP files?

I dod not use Norton - and this seems to be an associated file for that program.

When I try to defrag my computer it gets to this file ( at 10% into process) and stpos with an error merssage that this file is coorupted. If I don't need it , I'ld like to get ride of it.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 12:29 AM