none
About POSDM.EXE

Question

• I have to copy this question from POSReady forum... I had POSReady evaluation installed on my PC. When I run , it happens with below error: Could not connect. Error code = 0x8004100e: Invalid namespace. No ErrorInfo available. After I tried the SOMgr.exe suggested by Sean Liming, it comes with the error: Error connecting to computer. Check computer name and try it again. I tried to and again, no changes happens. What's wrong with this command?? Missing some libraries or something wrong with the hardware/drivers??
    Monday, August 17, 2009 5:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To be clear, you can access devices on a remote machine for 'administrative' and 'configuration' purposes. Pos .Net does't natively support 'device sharing', where you can use a device from a remote PC within your application.

You might be able to implement the latter with WMI, Remoting, or WCF, but it is not an in built feature.
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 1:50 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes. You have to enter the machine name. Of course, you will need to the appropriate rights as well so you may have to add the user name and password parameters to POSDM.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Friday, September 04, 2009 3:59 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I was using POSReady evaluation and meet some problem with posdm.exe.
    Under Program Files\Microsoft Point Of Service, I tried the command: posdm listdevices, and it met below errors:
    Could not connect. Error code = 0x8004100e: Invalid namespace.
    No ErrorInfo available.

Can anybody help me?
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:10 AM

• Did you include a machine name?

POSDM /MACHINE:MYCOMP LISTDEVICES

There is a graphical application called SOMgr that provides similar support: http://www.seanliming.com/WEPOS.html

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:37 AM
    Answerer
  • Use SOMgr and it tells me Error connecting to computer....
    Is it possible with below reasons??
    I installed XP on C: and install POSReady on D:  Install POSReady need primary partition so i set both c and d as primary partition.

Another error is:
    after installed, i cannot search files on D: but can search on C:
    is it related to above errors??

Is there any limit to install POSReady? (only can be installed on C:)
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:33 AM
  • Kelvinpan,

It should not matter if POSReady is installed on C or D. 

Terry Warwick [MSFT]
    Friday, August 14, 2009 8:18 PM
    Owner
  • Are you specifying a computer name ? If so, is that computer on and is the firewall configured to allow access, or if not have you tried specifying the name of the local machine ?

Can you post the actual command string you are using ?

Also, is WMI installed and are the WMI services enabled on the PC you are trying to connect to ?

Sean may be able to help more with this.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 8:31 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

How are you getting on with this problem ? You haven't answered my questions and I'm wondering if you've resolved the issue or not.
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 11:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi again,

Can you try running the command in the link below, at a command prompt on the PC hosting the devices;

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb411800(WinEmbedded.11).aspx

Then try again ?
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 11:55 PM
    Answerer

• Did you include a machine name?

POSDM /MACHINE:MYCOMP LISTDEVICES

There is a graphical application called SOMgr that provides similar support: http://www.seanliming.com/WEPOS.html

-Sean

Is it possible to access POS devices on a remote machine with POS for .NET (1.12) ?

Stefan
    Friday, September 04, 2009 10:22 AM
  • Yes. You have to enter the machine name. Of course, you will need to the appropriate rights as well so you may have to add the user name and password parameters to POSDM.

-Sean

Friday, September 04, 2009 3:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

To be clear, you can access devices on a remote machine for 'administrative' and 'configuration' purposes. Pos .Net does't natively support 'device sharing', where you can use a device from a remote PC within your application.

You might be able to implement the latter with WMI, Remoting, or WCF, but it is not an in built feature.
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 1:50 AM
    Answerer
  • This one drove me crazy for a a couple of days so in case someone runs into the same problem, check the KB  972949 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972949/de). That did it for me.

And, BTW, if you are querying against the local machine you do not need to enter the machine name on the command line; you do on SOMgr, but it defaults correctly.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:02 PM