none
How to Choose Individual Work items in the "Related Workitem" option of Code Review Request

Question

• Hi All,

Pls help me on the below query on Code Review feature in TFS 2012.

My question on Related Workitems Option on the Request Code Review pane.

Lets Assume, I have 3 tasks workitem which I am parallelly working(All the 3 Task WI has State "In Progress")

Now if I go for Request Code Review for a Changed file means it is showing all the 3 tasks in the "Related WorkItems"

But My Code Review of the changed file is for Task1.I am not getting how to individually choose  Task workItem as Related WorkItem in the CodeReview Pane.

Regards, 

Santhosh

• Edited by Sandy_88 Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:37 PM
    Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:35 PM

Answers

• When working on 3 separate tasks in parallel, you should use the suspend/resume option and request reviews.

When you've got multiple tasks in progress at the same time (without suspending), then Review will always trigger for all open changes.

To work around this, temporarily shelve&revert the other changes, then request review.

To request a review for a specific changeset after checking in, open the history panel, locate the changeset and right-click it to request a review for that specific set if changes.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Sunday, February 03, 2013 7:54 PM
  • +1 @Jesse, excellent answer!

In addition to what @Jesse said, keep in mind that you should keep only the actual task that you are working on right now as in progress, so if you think of what happened here, it will make sense, this because you mention that you are working on 3 tasks in progress so the Code Review understand that and try to associate all of them, this happen also for check-in action.

You have 2 sections

• Available Workitems
    • In progress

So you should keep all the 3 task in the available and only put the one that you will work on right now and so on and if you stop and want to move to another one just make what @jesse told you.

Visual Studio ALM MVP | ALM Consultant
    Blog | MSDN | Stackoverflow | Twitter | YouTube | CodePlex | TFSEG | MEA-ALM| LinkedIn

• Edited by M.Radwan-MVPMVP Monday, February 04, 2013 12:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sandy_88 Monday, February 04, 2013 4:56 AM
    Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:20 PM

All replies

• When working on 3 separate tasks in parallel, you should use the suspend/resume option and request reviews.

When you've got multiple tasks in progress at the same time (without suspending), then Review will always trigger for all open changes.

To work around this, temporarily shelve&revert the other changes, then request review.

To request a review for a specific changeset after checking in, open the history panel, locate the changeset and right-click it to request a review for that specific set if changes.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Sunday, February 03, 2013 7:54 PM
  • +1 @Jesse, excellent answer!

In addition to what @Jesse said, keep in mind that you should keep only the actual task that you are working on right now as in progress, so if you think of what happened here, it will make sense, this because you mention that you are working on 3 tasks in progress so the Code Review understand that and try to associate all of them, this happen also for check-in action.

You have 2 sections

• Available Workitems
    • In progress

So you should keep all the 3 task in the available and only put the one that you will work on right now and so on and if you stop and want to move to another one just make what @jesse told you.

Visual Studio ALM MVP | ALM Consultant
    Blog | MSDN | Stackoverflow | Twitter | YouTube | CodePlex | TFSEG | MEA-ALM| LinkedIn

• Edited by M.Radwan-MVPMVP Monday, February 04, 2013 12:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sandy_88 Monday, February 04, 2013 4:56 AM
    Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:20 PM