none
Visual Studio 2010 Professional Upgrade Requirements

Question

• Hello,

When Visual Studio 2008 was out, you could purchase the upgrade to Visual Studio 2008 Professional from pretty much anything, even from an express edition of Visual Studio.  Is the upgrade available for 2010 the same way?  I cannot find any fine print specifying the exact requirements.  I added it to my Microsoft Store shopping cart and clicked checkout without any issues but I don't want to buy it and then not be able to use it.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Craig,

The upgrade should work flawlessly from your trial.  When you purchase the product, you should be provided with a product key you can enter to upgrade your trial of VS 2010.  Just launch the product, click Help -> Register Product, and enter the product key.

If you want to be extra careful before you purchase, make sure the edition of the product you are purchasing matches that of your trial.  If you Click Help-> About inside your trial, you should see a dialog that tells you which edition of VS 2010 you are running: Pro, Premium, or Ultimate.  Make sure this edition matches the editoin you purchase.

If I've misunderstood your question, or you have additional concerns, please reply back on this thread and let us know.

Thanks,

Nathan Halstead

Visual Studio Program Manager

Friday, May 07, 2010 6:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Craig,

The upgrade should work flawlessly from your trial.  When you purchase the product, you should be provided with a product key you can enter to upgrade your trial of VS 2010.  Just launch the product, click Help -> Register Product, and enter the product key.

If you want to be extra careful before you purchase, make sure the edition of the product you are purchasing matches that of your trial.  If you Click Help-> About inside your trial, you should see a dialog that tells you which edition of VS 2010 you are running: Pro, Premium, or Ultimate.  Make sure this edition matches the editoin you purchase.

If I've misunderstood your question, or you have additional concerns, please reply back on this thread and let us know.

Thanks,

Nathan Halstead

Visual Studio Program Manager

Friday, May 07, 2010 6:32 AM
  • Obviously the Microsoft responder did not read the question so the answer is completely irrelevant.

I have an equivalent question.  Can I use VS 2010 Pro Upgrade to upgrade from VS 2005?

Saturday, September 04, 2010 11:44 AM
  • I just want to make sure. If I download and install the VS2010 Professional trial, I can then buy the Professional upgrade and use that key to upgrade to the full version?

Thanks

Thursday, September 09, 2010 6:12 PM
  • YiChun Chen,

I have a couple questions for you about upgrading subscriptions.

Is it possible to upgrade a Professional  version of MSDN to Ultimate 2010? Cost?

Is it possible to upgrade a Premium version of MSDN to Ultimate? Cost?

Are their team license options for MSDN subscriptions for larger development teams? Cost?

Can a project manager use the standard Visual Studio 2010 install to access, update, and remove work items? How about update the TFS work item templates?

Thank you!

Monday, October 25, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Did you ever get a satisfactory answer to the question of upgrading to VS2010Pro from VS2005Pro? 
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:36 AM
  • Hello,

I am also trying to find out if I can use some upgrade to buy the new Visual Studio 2010. I have just bought a new machine and now also moving to Windows 7. And thinking of upgrading the Studio at this time. I have Visual Studio 2005 Pro with MSDN premium. So do I have to buy the full version VS 2010 Pro + MSDN or can I upgrade?

Sincerely,

Eero

Sunday, December 05, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Nathan,

The product says to qualify....must own a licensed copy of an earlier version of ... Visual Studio or any other developer tool.  So what other developer tools qualify?

Sunday, May 08, 2011 12:29 PM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/offers

Many People Qualify for Visual Studio 2010 Professional Upgrade Pricing - Do You?

Upgrade from an existing version of Visual Studio, or any other development tool, to Visual Studio 2010 Professional and you may qualify for upgrade pricing. In addition, upgrade now and receive a no-obligation 12-month subscription to MSDN Essentials, for no extra cost.

To qualify for upgrade pricing, you must be a licensed user of one of the following products:

• An earlier version of Microsoft Visual Studio, or
    • Any other developer tool (including free developer tools, such as Visual Studio Express products or Eclipse)

Upgrade Offer: Offer is subject to change. This offer is not available in any Microsoft Volume Licensing programs. No coupon or offer code required to purchase upgrade editions, at upgrade pricing, through any reseller or online store. Includes a 12-month subscription to MSDN Essentials, which gives you a one-year test drive of the latest core Microsoft platforms and enhanced support from a professional community so you can target more platforms and fix issues quickly. Includes access to the latest versions of Windows and Windows Server, SQL Server, Online Concierge, and priority support in MSDN forums.

Friday, December 30, 2011 1:33 AM