none
How to install Visual Studio 2005 redistributable dlls from a CAB file

Question

• I have and ActiveX control which I am deplpying through internet explorer. The Activex used to depen on MFC4.2 dll's and hence this article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/165075  worked well.

Now the ActiveX depends on MFC80.dll and MDVCR80.dll and MSVCP80.dll. How do I deploy these dll's through the INF and CAB file.

If I add the name of these files to the INF as a dependency then the DLL's are being to downloaded to a Windows direcotory.  My ActiveX has a Manifest that requires DLL's to be stored in %WINDIR%\WinSX\.

How do I accomplish this? I hope there is a away other than telling the users of the ActiveX to install the files manually from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en

Your help is greatly appreciated.... 
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:06 AM

Answers

• I suggest using the Setup and Deployment project template that is available in Visual Studio. You can specify you want to create a CAB file and then add the DLL that you wish to deploy. The dependencies you mentioned need to be added as merge modules.

See How to Deploy using a Setup and Deployment Project for the nitty gritty.

• Proposed as answer by Nancy Shao Friday, January 15, 2010 5:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nancy Shao Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:44 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:25 AM

All replies

• I suggest using the Setup and Deployment project template that is available in Visual Studio. You can specify you want to create a CAB file and then add the DLL that you wish to deploy. The dependencies you mentioned need to be added as merge modules.

See How to Deploy using a Setup and Deployment Project for the nitty gritty.

• Proposed as answer by Nancy Shao Friday, January 15, 2010 5:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nancy Shao Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:44 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 4:25 AM
  • Hi Alaa_austin,

I agree with Brian, it's a easy way to deploy your application by using Setup and Deployment Project in Visual Studio. You can refer to the link Brian gave, or add a Prerequisites in setup project by choosing Visual C++ Runtime Libraries. For more information, please see MSDN article:

How to: Install Prerequisites in Windows Installer Deployment

Best Regards,
    Nancy
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 5:52 AM