none
Visual Studio Express 2013 - how to undo "Run as administrator"

Question

• Hi - I have installed VS 2013 on Windows 7 professional (SP1) and I had been switching on/off access to the Adminstrator account from the command prompt using "net user administrator /active:yes" - foolishly I thought that if I simply clicked on the option "Run as administrator" (from Start>All Programmes>VS Express - right click) that this would save me switching users to Administrator.

The problem is that now if I use the command prompt I get "System Error 5 has occured. Access is denied" - so I can't switch to the Administrator account.

Any help would be really welcome as I don't want to do anything that will make the situation worse

TIA

Thursday, December 05, 2013 7:12 PM

Answers

• I found a workaround in another forum - basically to run the Command Prompt using "Run as administrator". This does not solve the problem that VS 2013 Express has created but it works. Hope it helps anyone else.
    • Marked as answer by Globalforester Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:07 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Globalforester,

The problem is that now if I use the command prompt I get "System Error 5 has occured. Access is denied" - so I can't switch to the Administrator account.

Please open your command prompt as the admin, check it again.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 06, 2013 8:51 AM
  • Hi Jack - I tried the same command prompt again and still get the same message .."Access denied". Any other suggestions
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:19 AM
  • Hi Globalforester,

Sorry for no help to you.

Do you have other VS2013 Environment to repro this issue?

Actually I just repro it in my VS2013 Ultimate Environment, I could run it well in my side like the following screen shot, if other VS version works well, I doubt that it has the specific limitation for the Express version.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:17 AM
  • update:

No devenv.exe in your Express version installing folder, we could run the Express as the admin like the following screen shot.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 6:08 AM
  • I am trying to switch to enable Admin access using the standard Windows Command Prompt - this is what is not working. I don't know how to get the Cross Tools Command Prompt
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:44 AM
  • Goto -> Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 -> Visual Studio Tools. You will find "Visual Studio x64 Cross Tools Command Prompt". Right click on it and "Run as Administrator".

Kunal G

Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:07 AM
  • Could you get it here?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Tools\Shortcuts

Best Regards,

Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Hi Jack - thanks, I got the Cross Tools command prompt but still get a similar error message "System error 5 has occured. Access is denied". Would uninstalling VS 2013 express solve this issue as it seems to have messed up the computer settings?

P.S. I checked in Windows Computer Management and my account has administrator rights

• Edited by Globalforester Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:29 AM Update
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:22 AM
  • I found a workaround in another forum - basically to run the Command Prompt using "Run as administrator". This does not solve the problem that VS 2013 Express has created but it works. Hope it helps anyone else.
    • Marked as answer by Globalforester Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:07 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:06 PM