none
Removing "Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Configuration Wizard" from the Start menu.

Question

• Through the course of adding commercial software to a new Windows 7 installation I find that the Start menu contains an entry for "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005" -> "Visual Studio Tools" -> "Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger."  Unfortunately I did not identify which software package introduced this new entry.  The target for the entry is ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\rdbgwiz.exe."  "Microsoft Visual Studio 8" is not explicitly installed on this machine and does not appear in the list within the "Uninstall or change a program" Control Panel.  The "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable" had been installed.  I removed the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable" using the "Uninstall or change a program" Control Panel however this menu entry in the Start menu remains as does the target directory and its contents.

I would like to accomplish two objectives: (1) Managed removal of this Start Menu entry and the unused components of Visual Studio which are present and (2) a mapping of the dependencies on this tool such as what program initiated the installation and if any current programs are dependent on these Visual Studio components.

Please let me know if you have any advice or can suggest a general strategy for investigating this issue.

Test Case Operation System: "Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Operating System"

Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:30 PM

Answers

• I was able to remove it!!! ... woo hoo ...

It appears that the VS 2005 Remote Debugger was installed with Office 2010, under the options of InfoPath ...

Microsoft InfoPath
    +--- .Net Programmability Support
       +--- Visual Studio Tools for Applications

I set the installation option for "Visual Studio Tools for Applications" to "Not Available" in order to remove the debugger.

----

Conversely, I was able to ADD the debugger by setting the installation option to "Run from My Computer".

Brent Spaulding | Access MVP
    Monday, October 04, 2010 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Don,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your description, would you like to use Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Configuration Tool?

If I misunderstood, please elaborate your question kindly.

If yes, it seems that your Visual Studio 2005 might be not installed correctly on your machine.

I would recommend that you could uninstall it via Add/Remove Program and re-install it on your machine again.

If you have any issues during installation, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 7:37 AM
  • Thank you for the reply Larcolais,

I would like to remove the "Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Configuration Wizard" from my system.  Unfortunately I do not find this program listed in the "Uninstall or change a program" Control Panel.  I believe it was installed during the installation of another program, however I do not know which other program introduced "Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Configuration Wizard" to my system.  Since the "Uninstall or change a program" Control Panel does not list "Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Configuration Wizard" or any other "Visual Studio 2005" programs could you suggest an alternative strategy I can use to remove it?

Thanks again for the help.

Monday, September 20, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Hi Dom,

Glad to see your reply.

You could turn off Remote Debugging Visual Studio 2005.

The following link talks about how to turn on Remote Debugging for Visual Studio 2005.

You could refer it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908099

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:54 AM
  • Larcolais, thanks for the link to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 908099; "How to turn on remote debugging for Visual Studio 2005 in Windows XP with Service Pack 2."  The article explains how I can turn on remote debugging for Visual Studio 2005.  Unfortunately I could not find anything in it that suggests a way to remove the "Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Configuration Wizard" from a system.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Hi Don,

As your concern, please check the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908451/en-us

It talks about how to remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Light" (This step is needed only if Visual Studio is installed on a 64-bit machine)

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:19 AM
  • Thanks for the link to the Knowledge Base Article 908451, "Contents of Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition Setup Issues Readme file."  The relevant reference to the Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger is given as:

"7. Remove 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Light' (This step is needed only if Visual Studio is installed on a 64-bit machine)."

Note this this reference to the "Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Light" seems to be a different product/tool than the "Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger Configuration Wizard."  Also step 7 is provided in the context of removing earlier editions of Visual Studio 2005 in preparation for installation of Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition.  In my case I have not directly installed any editions of Visual Studio 2005.  Additionally I do not have any entries for Visual Studio 2005 listed in my "Uninstall or change a program" Control Panel.  Therefore Article 908451 does not appear to suggest any actions that might resolve this issue.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:20 AM
  • I have ran into the same issue .... Visual Studio 2005 Remote Debugger appeared on my Programs List, there is no entry in the Control Panels' Add/Remove programs, and I am unsure which app stuck it on my system --- I am suspecting Office 2010 (x64).

My system is Win 7, 64bit.

Friday, October 01, 2010 7:11 PM
  • I was able to remove it!!! ... woo hoo ...

It appears that the VS 2005 Remote Debugger was installed with Office 2010, under the options of InfoPath ...

Microsoft InfoPath
    +--- .Net Programmability Support
       +--- Visual Studio Tools for Applications

I set the installation option for "Visual Studio Tools for Applications" to "Not Available" in order to remove the debugger.

----

Conversely, I was able to ADD the debugger by setting the installation option to "Run from My Computer".

Monday, October 04, 2010 5:57 PM