none
Rename team project

Question

• How do I rename a team project? The name of the project has to be renamed and I would like to do this with the least amount of pain as possible.
    Thursday, March 23, 2006 4:31 PM

Answers

• This is not possible in v1.  You can create a new team project and move all of the source-control items (files & folders) using ordinary the 'tf move' command.  Moving work items will probably require a little OM code.  I'm not sure what can be done about reports, process guidance, etc.  To delete the old team project, use tfsdeleteproject.exe.
    Thursday, March 23, 2006 6:43 PM
  • If you're talking about documents stored in Sharepoint (the Documents node in Team Explorer) then no, history will not be preserved.  If you're talking about items under source control, then yes using the Move command (from Source Control Explorer, or 'tf move' at the command line) will preserve history.
    Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:54 AM

All replies

• This is not possible in v1.  You can create a new team project and move all of the source-control items (files & folders) using ordinary the 'tf move' command.  Moving work items will probably require a little OM code.  I'm not sure what can be done about reports, process guidance, etc.  To delete the old team project, use tfsdeleteproject.exe.
    Thursday, March 23, 2006 6:43 PM
  • That's a shame. I guess I'm stuck with the wrong name for now. Hopefully this will be in v2.
    Thursday, March 23, 2006 7:26 PM
  • We are considering a feature for team project rename in V2. However, its likely it may not get in based on all the other work that is planned.
    Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:20 PM
  • Hi, but it's possible keep all my history when I moving all my folder? or lose all history, because with a brach, I lose all my document history, and I know that not possible rename a Team Project, but if I create a new one project, and after that I move all my folders, can I keep all my document history?

Thanks!

Monday, May 08, 2006 6:06 PM
  • If you're talking about documents stored in Sharepoint (the Documents node in Team Explorer) then no, history will not be preserved.  If you're talking about items under source control, then yes using the Move command (from Source Control Explorer, or 'tf move' at the command line) will preserve history.
    Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:54 AM
  • Thanks, and yes, I talking about Source Control.

=)

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 4:12 PM
  • So, what about TFS 2008. Is it possible to rename a team project?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:48 AM
  • No, it is still not possible to rename a Team Project in Team Foundation Server 2008 and it is incredibly frustrating and painful for our organization.

Anyone aware of any plans to fix this in an upcoming release?
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:54 PM
  • So, what about TFS 2010. Is it possible to rename a team project? And what about renaming a Team Project Collection?

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 1:04 AM
  • You cannot rename a team project nor a project collection.

The reason for this is that there are so many dependencies on the name of the team project, that it is very hard and error-prone to rename a team project. When there is only one entry somewhere that is not renamed correctly, you will not be able to use your team project anymore.

However, the renaming is something that is a often requested feature. When there are enough votes on a topic like https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/554539/cant-rename-a-team-project-in-tfs-2010 it will end up in TFS vNext

Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:03 AM
  • Respectfully, Ewald, I disagree with regards to renaming a 2010 Team Project Collection.  I contend that it can be done.

ReneX, Log in to your TFS server and open TfsMgmt.exe (Team Foundation Administration Console).  Under "Application Tier" it should default you to the "Team Project Collections" section.  In the top-half of this screen, highlight the TPC you wish to rename.  Now down at the bottom half, press the "Stop Collection" button.  Then do an "Edit Settings".  This is where you may rename your Team Project Collection.

I think Ewald's right about the Team Project level though.  Probably have to create a new Team Project and use Sidekicks or TF.exe to do a move en masse.

Tim Carper
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:34 PM
  • Ok, I would like to rename Team Project (I use TFS 2010 RTM) but what with existing SharePoint site? How can I assigne it to new Team Project?

And how can I find any commend for this operation?

Thanks for any help!!!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:52 AM
  • When you right click a team project (with VS 2010) you have the Team Project Settings -> Portal Settings. You can change the URL of the portal in there.
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:49 PM
  • Eureka! I have found it!

If you go in and Stop the collection, then Detach the collection, then during the Reattach dialogue it allows you the chance to rename the Team Project Collection.  It does not rename the DB name, but everything else appears to have been relabeled.

Tim

Tim Carper
    • Proposed as answer by Tim Carper Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Out of curiosity, how long are requests kept open to voting on Connect?

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/547409/cant-rename-a-team-project-or-change-its-description (the link provided in your response does not work - takes the User to a Page not found page)

This only got three votes but, then again, it was only open to voting for, apparently, a little over five and a half hours?

This has been an issue from the outset for TFS. I get that renaming projects may be hard to dev, but it's such core functionality, and so problematic when it is needed, that it should be treated as a priority.

Any feedback path other than Connect? The management of the issue there doesn't seem overly customer focused.

Thursday, June 06, 2013 4:08 PM