none
DLL not being copied to output directory

Question

• Hello-

I'm running into a strange problem. I have a class library project called DataAccess.MySQL. It implements a MySQL version of my DAL interfaces and holds the NHibernate mapping files. The project references both th NHibernate DLLs and MySQL.Data DLLs using file references. Both references are identical (aliases = global, copy local = true, specific version = false). When the project builds, both of the referenced DLLs show up in the output directory (bin/Debug). This works as I would expect.

The problem is that when I set up a project reference to DataAccess.MySQL (e.g., from my test project DataAccess.MySQL.Tests), every DLL associated with the DataAccess.MySQL project gets copied into the output directory except the MySQL.Data DLL. I get the DataAccess.MySQL dll, the NHibernate DLL, and a bunch of assemblies that NHibernate depends upon (log4net, etc). I can't figure out why the MySQL.Data DLL isn't being copied.

Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks.

-Eric

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:23 AM

All replies

• Try looking at the diagnostic log, maybe, for a clue. To set verbosity in VS, look at the "how to report bug" posting at the top of the forum.

Dan

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:16 PM
  • Dan-

I generated the diagnostic output. There's a lot of information in there, but from what I can tell, the MySql.Data.dll assembly is not making it into the list of assembly references during the ResolveAssemblyReference task. All of my other DLLs are, however.

I did notice that the references were set up slightly differently in the csproj file of the project I'm referencing (my DataAccess.MySQL project). Here's a snippet:

<ItemGroup>
        <Reference Include="MySql.Data, Version=5.0.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d, processorArchitecture=MSIL">
          <SpecificVersion>False</SpecificVersion>
          <HintPath>..\ThirdParty\MySQL Connector Net\Current\Binaries\.NET 2.0\MySql.Data.dll</HintPath>
          <Private>True</Private>
        </Reference>
        <Reference Include="NHibernate, Version=1.2.0.3001, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=aa95f207798dfdb4, processorArchitecture=MSIL">
          <SpecificVersion>False</SpecificVersion>
          <HintPath>..\ThirdParty\NHibernate\Current\bin\net-2.0\NHibernate.dll</HintPath>
        </Reference>
        <Reference Include="System" />
        <Reference Include="System.Data" />
        <Reference Include="System.Xml" />
      </ItemGroup>

You can see that the MySql.Data assembly has the element "<Private>true</Private>". If I manually edit the csproj file to remove that element, the situation remains unchanged, however.

Lastly, I inspected the assembly manifest of the DataAccess.MySQL assembly to see if there was any reason the MySql.Data dll would not be picked up as a dependent assembly. Interestingly, the MySql.Data dll does not show up in the manifest. Here are all of the extern blocks, as reported my ildasm:

.assembly extern mscorlib
    {
      .publickeytoken = (B7 7A 5C 56 19 34 E0 89 )                         // .z\V.4..
      .ver 2:0:0:0
    }
    .assembly extern DomainModel
    {
      .ver 1:0:0:0
    }
    .assembly extern NHibernate
    {
      .publickeytoken = (AA 95 F2 07 79 8D FD B4 )                         // ....y...
      .ver 1:2:0:4000
    }
    .assembly extern System.Data
    {
      .publickeytoken = (B7 7A 5C 56 19 34 E0 89 )                         // .z\V.4..
      .ver 2:0:0:0
    }

The DomainModel assembly represents my domain objects.

So, it looks like the root problem is that the MySql.Data assembly isn't being added as a dependent assembly to the DataAccess.MySQL assembly. The only snag here is I'm not sure how to troubleshoot that. Any ideas on why a referenced assembly would not be added as a dependent assembly to the manifest?

Thanks for your help.

-Eric

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:07 PM
  • I created a minimal VS.NET solution that recreates this problem. I posted it at:

http://www.agilecommerce.com/DependTest.zip

Any ideas?

Saturday, September 01, 2007 12:57 AM
  • This still isn't working for me. Has anyone been able to recreate the issue?

Monday, September 03, 2007 8:16 PM
  • AFAIK, if a referenced assembly isn't used it isn't added as a dependency in the manifest.

Is the assembly in question used directly or just via some reflection magic?

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 7:59 AM
  • I am experiencing a similar problem.  All but one of the NHibernate related DLLs are being copied.

Copied:

XXXX.BL
    XXXX.DAO

Not Coppied:

XXXX.Mapping

Any resolution?

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:38 AM