none
.Net Framework 4.0 wont install

Question

• Hello, A few days ago I had recently purchased a game off of Steam, (Terraria). It is required to run Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0. After installing the game, it automatically started the setup of .net framework 4.0, which failed about halfway through the install. I have tried to restart, reinstall, cleanup, and many other methods of fixing this. I have been discussing this on a similiar thread on the Terraria website which can be found here: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/cant-install-net-framework-4-0.32817/     

All of the methods and potential solutions shown on the forum I have attempted, and all have failed. I was told to come here, which I agreed would be possibly a more effective way of finding a solution to this problem. Any help would be appreciated greatly. And I would also appreciate it if you read up on the thread I have posted.

PS: My specs are also shown on the thread posted.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 4:40 AM

Answers

• Hi AquaDeuce,

Thank you for your post.

After these steps, in my opinion, your problem is possibly related to the corrupt Windows Installer, so we might need to do some reparation work of your OS. You might be required a machine to be restored or an in-place upgrade to be performed to recover it. For one quicker way to repair OS or restore the OS configuration to an earlier point. Here is a KB about this, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/
    Or if you have the original media, you can reinstall Window 7.

If you do not want to reinstall or repair your OS, I recommend you go to the Windows Answer forum to ask for helps.

Windows Answer forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by AquaDeuce Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:01 AM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hey, it's been a while but yesterday my friend came over and assisted me with reinstalling my OS. It's like I have a brand new computer now, framework 4.0 succeeded and everything is the way it should be. Thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, July 25, 2011 3:19 AM
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:14 PM

All replies

• First, please clean up from the failed installs with this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Be careful to remove *only* .NET Framework 4.0 entries, if any.

Then, download the full standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

Before *any* install attempt:

Clean out your %temp% directory, reboot, then disable your AV software and any firewalls.

Run the standalone installer As Administrator.

If it fails again, collect the logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

Run Collect.exe. When it finishes, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, then post the link here.

Saturday, June 25, 2011 1:09 PM
  • I tried the steps and they failed. I am just trying to upload the vslogs.cab to the website now but it isn't working.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 11:38 PM
  • Well, try a different site then. Any file uploading sort of site should do.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Hi AquaDeuce,

Thank you for your reply.

I recommend you upload your file to the SkyDrive: skydrive.live.com/

As soon as I have access to the results, I will be able to analyze your problem in depth.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:57 AM
  • Hi AquaDeuce,

I recommend you upload your file to the SkyDrive: skydrive.live.com/

As soon as I have access to the results, I will be able to analyze your problem in depth.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Hey its the same aquadeuce, I seemed to have forgot which account I used with whichever password. but here is the link (If what Im doing is right): https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=10accfe08d820984&resid=10ACCFE08D820984!106&authkey=j*!aP2Bx0U4%24
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:59 AM
  • From your vslogs, it appears that you have a Windows Installer issue:

INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.]

I suggest you try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324516

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:28 PM
  • From your vslogs, it appears that you have a Windows Installer issue:

INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.]

I suggest you try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324516

The methods you have showed me worked to no avail; when on method 4, in the cmd, after typing 'ren msi.dll msi.old' it stated that access was denied.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:13 PM
  • You've run into a permissions issue. Assuming you're logged on with an ID that has full Adninistrative rights, you'll have to take ownership of the files/folders in question to do the renaming.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:45 PM
  • You've run into a permissions issue. Assuming you're logged on with an ID that has full Adninistrative rights, you'll have to take ownership of the files/folders in question to do the renaming.

Exactly which files do I take ownership of?

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Hi AquaDeuce,

First, if you intend to install .NET Framework 4 on your x86 machine, you must have at least 850MB free disk space.

If you intend to install it on your x64 machine, you must ensure at least 2GB free disk space.

Second, if your problem is not related to disk space, in my opinion, it is related to Windows Installer.

Would you please try to repair the Windows Installer service in this post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/586b624f-3e9c-42cc-9ead-5f3bc1616b80/#3a92c7c3-c82a-4744-9bef-84d280af2c8e

This article I think is helpful: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651/en-us#reso1

Method 1: Determine whether the Windows Installer engine is functioning

1. Click Start , type cmd in the Search box or click Run then type cmd in the dialog (Windows XP or Windows Server 2003), and then press Enter to open a Command Prompt window.
    2. At the command prompt, type MSIExec, and then press Enter.
    3. If the MSI engine is working, there should be no error messages. If you receive an error message, note the error. If you are proficient in how to use search engines, you can use the error message to help locate additional content to troubleshoot the issue.
    4. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the problem persists, go to method 2.

Method 2: Make sure that the Windows Installer service is not set to Disabled

1. Click Start , type services.msc in the Search box or click Run then type services.msc in the dialog (Windows XP or Windows Server 2003), and then press Enter to open Services.
    2. Right-click the Windows Installer service, and then click Properties.
    3. If the Startup type box is set to Disabled, change it to Manual.
    4. Click OK to close the Properties window.
    5. Right-click the Windows Installer service, and then click Start. The service should start without errors.
    6. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the problem persists, go to method 3.

Method 3: Check your version of Windows Installer, and upgrade to the latest version if it is needed

Important This method applies to Windows XP, to Windows Vista, to Windows Server 2003, to Windows Server 2003 R2, and to Windows Server 2008 only.

1. Click Start , type cmd in the Search box or click Run then type services.msc in the dialog (Windows XP or Windows Server 2003), and then press Enter to open a Command Prompt window.
    2. At the Command Prompt window, type MSIExec, and then press Enter. If the MSI engine is working, there should be no error messages, and a separate dialog box should open. This shows the MSI version.
    3. If the installer version is not version 4.5, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for information and for a link to download Windows installer 4.5:

942288 Windows Installer 4.5 is available

1. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the problem persists, go to method 4.

Method 4: Reregister the installer engine

Important This method applies to Windows XP and to Windows Server 2000 only.

1. Click Start, click Run then type cmd in the dialog, and then click Command Prompt.
    2. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press Enter after each line:

MSIExec /unregister
    MSIExec /regserver

1. Try to install or to uninstall again.

If the issue still occurs after these steps, I recommend:

·         Start>>Type “regedit”

·         Check this path: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer]. If you can find a sub key “Enum”under this path, I recommend you delete this key.

NOTE: Before you delete this key ,please copy your registry. To do so: Right click the key “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer]”. Then select “Export”, and save your copy file.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Hey, remembered my original account.

Thank you for your help Alexander, the first link you showed me seemed to (may or may not) have fixed my Windows Installer, However, The methods you showed me did not prove to be successful.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Hi AquaDeuce,

Have you tried to find the key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer” and delete all its sub keys?

After these steps, did you reboot your machine and try to install .NET Framework 4?

This article I think is helpful, and you can try to do it: http://blog.thinksharp.nl/2009/03/08/WindowsInstallerHELLOnVistaX64PlatformsAlsoFixesITunesInstallProblem.aspx

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Which are the sub keys I need to delete?

I also changed the WOW64 value to 0 instead of 1, rebooted, then tried to reinstall the .Net Framework 4.0, but it failed earlier through the download. I checked the log and noticed the error number had changed:

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1
    CommandLine = C:\b48d63f83b0d0d7ab3ead39b12\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
    TimeZone = Mountain Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 4105
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism

Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded

Number of applicable items: 11
    Exe (C:\b48d63f83b0d0d7ab3ead39b12\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    Exe (C:\b48d63f83b0d0d7ab3ead39b12\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    MSI (C:\b48d63f83b0d0d7ab3ead39b12\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110630_113548575-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    MSI (C:\b48d63f83b0d0d7ab3ead39b12\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110630_113548575-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt

Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070641), "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:21).

Sorry about that massive space.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Hi AquaDeuce,

Sub key “Enum” under this path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer], I recommend you delete this key.

NOTE: Before you delete this key ,please copy your registry. To do so: Right click the key “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer]”. Then select “Export”, and save your copy file.

Here are my additional suggestions:

Clean any pending installations:
    Check the following registry key and clean any entries in the key that you find:
    Go to the Start Orb, type in Regedit and select enter.
    If you get the User Account Control dialog box that states, Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to the is computer?, Click yes.

Modifying REGISTRY settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of REGISTRY settings can be solved. Modifications of these settings are at your own risk.

Scroll to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress

Check the following registry key and clean any entries in the key that you find:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations

Check the permissions:
    Verify the System has Full Control on the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer

To do so:

1. Right click. Choose "Permissions..."
    2. On the "Permissions for..." dialog box which appears next, press the "Add.." button and add in the "Administrator", "Administrators" and "SYSTEM" accounts. For ourselves, we also made sure to add in our own local account which had administrator privileges.
    3. Back on the first "Permissions for..." dialog box, click on each account in the top-list and make sure each has the "Full Control = Allow" and "Read = Allow" permissions.
    4. Click the "Advanced" button so as to the "Advanced Security Settings" dialog box appears.
    5. On the "Permissions tab" enable the checkmark box named "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object", then press the "Apply" button.
    6. On the "Owner" tab, highlight the "Administrators" name in the lower listbox, enable the checkmark box called "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and press the "Apply Button".
    7. Exit these dialog boxes by pressing the "Ok" button, so that you are back to the main registry editor.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Friday, July 01, 2011 9:32 AM
  • Thanks for the help, but once again, nothing. The installation of the .Net definitely ended earlier though, screenshot: http://imageshack.us/f/215/jsbnlkjdls.png/
    Friday, July 01, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Hi AquaDeuce,

Thank you for your post.

From the picture, I discover you are using simultaneous download and install mechanism. Please try to use .NET Framework 4 Standalone and collect the log.

.NET Framework 4 Standalone: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Monday, July 04, 2011 10:04 AM
  • OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1
    CommandLine = C:\06419eb981b2338a1df99f1c816b56\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
    TimeZone = Mountain Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 4105
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism

Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded

Number of applicable items: 11
    Exe (C:\06419eb981b2338a1df99f1c816b56\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe (C:\06419eb981b2338a1df99f1c816b56\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
    MSI (C:\06419eb981b2338a1df99f1c816b56\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110704_172953697-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
    MSI (C:\06419eb981b2338a1df99f1c816b56\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110704_172953697-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt

Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070641), "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:27).

This log seems similar if not exact to one of my previous posts :/

Monday, July 04, 2011 11:32 PM
  • Hi AquaDeuce,

Thank you for your post.

After these steps, in my opinion, your problem is possibly related to the corrupt Windows Installer, so we might need to do some reparation work of your OS. You might be required a machine to be restored or an in-place upgrade to be performed to recover it. For one quicker way to repair OS or restore the OS configuration to an earlier point. Here is a KB about this, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/

If you do not want to reinstall or repair your OS, I recommend you go to the Windows Answer forum to ask for helps.

Windows Answer forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by AquaDeuce Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:01 AM
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi AquaDeuce,

Thank you for your post.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

I appreciate the help and commitment to my problem, Ill probably reinstall windows7 soon. Also, what are the consequences of reinstalling windows?

Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:02 AM
  • Hi AquaDeuce,

Thank you for your help.

Although many people think reinstalling OS is a kind of trouble, in my opinion, in some scenario, this method is the most direct way to resolve the problem. I recommend you copy all the things you think is important first. Than format your OS drive and reinstall Windows 7. After you have reinstall Windows 7, I recommend you install all the updates available first. Then follow the previous steps I post.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Thursday, July 07, 2011 2:55 AM
  • Hey, it's been a while but yesterday my friend came over and assisted me with reinstalling my OS. It's like I have a brand new computer now, framework 4.0 succeeded and everything is the way it should be. Thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, July 25, 2011 3:19 AM
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 10:14 PM