none
Common Language RunTime Debugging Service

Question

• Hi,
         We have built application in C#. This exe works fine with small Reports. But failed and give following error message whenever we try to run a big reports/processes:

ReportGenerator.exe Common Language Runtime Debugging Services
                  Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
                  Process ID=0x14 (1300), Thread Id=0xe8(232)

Click OK to terminate the application.
                   Click CANCEL to debug the application.

Any help will be grate appriciated...
    Regards
    H.M.Sohaib

Monday, August 29, 2005 10:49 AM

Answers

• It would appear that you have a debugger available on the machine that is crashing so you should be able to click CANCEL to load the debugger and determine where it failed.  You'll need the PDB file for the build in order to load the call stack.  The PDB should be built for all configurations in VS 2005 so you simply need to copy the file over.  If you don't have the debugger available then try to at least get the exception number (from the View Details link or whatever the dialog is showing to you) so you have a better idea what is going wrong. 

Debugging production issues can be really painful.  Luckily Microsoft has really stepped up to the plate on this and provided us with the ability to debug release build crashes even when we can't reproduce the problem ourselves.  If you install the debugging tools for Windows on the machine then you can use ADPlus to take a snapshot of the process state when the crash occurs.  You can then go back to your development environment and "replay" the crash to determine what went wrong.  Refer to the article Root Out Elusive Production Bugs with These Effective Techniques in the July 2005 issue of MSDN Magazine.

My initial hunch would be that it is probably a resource problem such as threads or memory.  Hope this helps.

Michael Taylor - 8/30/05
    Tuesday, August 30, 2005 12:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It appears that you have unhandled Exceptions in your code? If you add Exception handling, you would be able to capture a more specific Exception and it will be easier to find out the reasons for error.

Regards,
    Vikram
    Monday, August 29, 2005 11:04 AM
  • Thanks for your quick response...
    We have handled all exceptions and are working properly in all machines except one. That machine is giving the Runtime error on big processes.

Regards
    H.M.Sohaib
    Monday, August 29, 2005 11:48 AM
  • It would appear that you have a debugger available on the machine that is crashing so you should be able to click CANCEL to load the debugger and determine where it failed.  You'll need the PDB file for the build in order to load the call stack.  The PDB should be built for all configurations in VS 2005 so you simply need to copy the file over.  If you don't have the debugger available then try to at least get the exception number (from the View Details link or whatever the dialog is showing to you) so you have a better idea what is going wrong. 

Debugging production issues can be really painful.  Luckily Microsoft has really stepped up to the plate on this and provided us with the ability to debug release build crashes even when we can't reproduce the problem ourselves.  If you install the debugging tools for Windows on the machine then you can use ADPlus to take a snapshot of the process state when the crash occurs.  You can then go back to your development environment and "replay" the crash to determine what went wrong.  Refer to the article Root Out Elusive Production Bugs with These Effective Techniques in the July 2005 issue of MSDN Magazine.

My initial hunch would be that it is probably a resource problem such as threads or memory.  Hope this helps.

Michael Taylor - 8/30/05
    Tuesday, August 30, 2005 12:29 PM
  • Use Following Steps (This will solve your problem)

1. Go to: Settings >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration

2. The .NET 1.1 Configuration module will appear. Click on the "Runtime Security Policy" folder on the left hand side of the screen.

3. Click on the "Adjust Security Zone" link in the body of the screen.

4. Click "Next."

5. Click the "Local Intranet" security button

6. Adjusted the security to "FULL."

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 11:30 AM
  • ok this great information and all but it doesn't help my Common Runtime Debugging Service problem, because I really don't understand your directions.  I'm pretty good on computers and a very quick learner, but I don't know all of this detailed technical stuff.  So could you give me a step by step guide on how to solve my problem?  See I'm getting this error msg right when I start MS Outlook 2003.  So why am I getting this and how do I fix it?  And please explain your instructions in lamans terms.  I sure would appreciate it.
    Saturday, September 10, 2005 1:52 AM
  • HI,

I like your post; VERY clear. But, unfortunately, it did not help me with my similar problem. I upgrade from AutoCAD 2 to AutoCAd 5 and it won't open ("Common Runtime Debugging", etc). Tried to download "PConPOINT" , a software that describes itself as fixing this common problem", but no luck there. Tried your solution outlines above but still get same error message. Help!.....Anyone?

Many Thanks,

Andrew

Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:50 PM
  • Outlook 2003 doesn't use any managed code, so this must be caused by some other component - most likely an Outlook add-in.

Have you installed any new software that "plugs into" Outlook or other Microsoft Office applications?

If you have a debugger on your machine, you should be able to click "cancel" and at least get a call-stack. This should pinpoint the component that's failing.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 10:12 PM
  • Dear H.M.Sohaib,

I have installed a software, Woldmate. While launching the program, the same error message appears:

WMDesktop.exe Common Language Runtime Debugging Services
                  Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.
                  Process ID=0x1218 (4632), Thread Id=0x11f4(4596)

Click OK to terminate the application.
                   Click CANCEL to debug the application.

As your case, all machines work fine EXCEPT 1 laptop having the error above. Have your found any solution? Please kindly advise. Many Thanks.

BRgds

Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:40 AM
  • I also have the exact problem, and haven't seen any replies to this one. Any solutions yet?

JAT60

Monday, November 13, 2006 12:17 PM
  • This workaround also applies to individual Assemblies that get this error when running as Network Service (or other service account) instead of a normal logged in user. The only difference is that you apply the elevated privileges to the assembly by clicking on the  “Increase Assembly Trust” instead of “Adjust Zone Security”

Steps:
    1. Go to: Settings >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration
    2. The .NET 1.1 Configuration module will appear. Click on the "Runtime Security Policy" folder on the left hand side of the screen.
    3. Click on the " Increase Assembly Trust " link in the body of the screen.
    4. Click "Next."
    5. Browse to your assembly and click “Next”
    5. Select the level of privileges that you need (You may not need "Full Trust")
    6. Click “Next”
    7. Click “Finnish”
    Thursday, December 21, 2006 4:01 PM
  •  Paul Harrington MSFT wrote:

Outlook 2003 doesn't use any managed code, so this must be caused by some other component - most likely an Outlook add-in.

Have you installed any new software that "plugs into" Outlook or other Microsoft Office applications?

If you have a debugger on your machine, you should be able to click "cancel" and at least get a call-stack. This should pinpoint the component that's failing.

I am seeing a similar error with Outllook 2003 when the program is first launched.  The process id=0x8c0 (2240), Thread id=0x91c (2332).  Do you think it may be a virus?

chogye

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:01 PM
  • Hi all, i was also a victim of such problem and tried several ways. Finally i managed to get service pack 1 for dotnet 1.1 and now the problem is solved. You all may pls try...regards
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 12:51 AM
  • Hi Navees,

I have been trying to solve this problem for over six weeks and probably a zillion hours. I contacted HP and spoke to Harry(ak. Sheik Mohammad Ala) and he informed me for $200.00 the problem could be solved...maybe.I followed your steps and I was up and running in about two minitutes. Thank you for your expertise.

Sincerely,

Colostate

Saturday, November 24, 2007 1:01 AM
  • Use Following Steps (This will solve your problem)

3. Click on the "Adjust Security Zone" link in the body of the screen.

4. Click "Next."

5. Click the "Local Intranet" security button

6. Adjusted the security to "FULL."

well I tried this and I seem to have hit another wall.  when I clicked on "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Configuration" I got

"MMC could not create the snap-in.

the snap-in might not have been installed correctly

name:.Net Framework1.1 configuration

CLSID:{1270E004-F895-42BE-8070-DF90D60CBB75}"

I'm actually trying to recover from a recent reformat and things that worked prior aren't running now.  as far as I can tell windows updates are current.  any other suggestions?  thanx

Monday, July 12, 2010 1:50 AM
  • Thans ..this solution helped me fix the problem !

DP
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Changing the .Net Intranet settings fixed the issue I was having as well. Thanks!!!!
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:56 PM
  • this did help me to solve the problem..

Saturday, August 09, 2014 8:16 AM