none
Debugger is not properly installed.

Question

• "attaching the proteusdebugengine debugger to process ... failed. the debugger is not properly installed. cannot debug the requested type of code. run setup to install or repair the debugger"

I get this message after my solution first loads and then after i close my application.  I have vs2010 ult, win7 ult x64, I've had devexpress installed and powertools and powercommands extensions.

I've tried repairing vs2010, uninstalling devexpress, and disabling powertools and powercommands.

I've have logged devenv.exe and a few of the errors below.

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Visual Studio Build Manager Package]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Microsoft.VisualStudio.Internal.WPFFlavor.WPFPackage, Microsoft.VisualStudio.WPFFlavor, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Tips.TuipPackage.TuipPackage, Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.Tips.TuipPackage, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestCaseManagement.QualityToolsPackage, Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.TestCaseManagement, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [WiX Project Package]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Visual Studio Help Package]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Visual Studio Project Persistence Package]Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Visual Studio Task List Package]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Visual C# Language Service Package]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Visual Studio Component Enumerator Package]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Windows Forms Designer Hosting Package]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation.EditorPackage, Microsoft.VisualStudio.Editor.Implementation, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Team Foundation Server Provider Package]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.HatPackage, Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.VersionControl, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation.TeamFoundationHost, Microsoft.VisualStudio.TeamFoundation, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [StanPackage]

Friday, December 23, 2011 2:51 AM

All replies

• Probably a huge piece of the puzzle.  It doesn't do it when i change my Configuration Manager Platform to x86, on all others (AnyCpu, Debug, MixedMode, x64) I get this very annoying error dialog.

Friday, December 23, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Ok one more peice of the puzzle.  It appears msvsmon.exe doesn't need to be run on x86 I can end the msvsmon process and everything is fine it will build and run, but when I switch to x64 I no longer get the error message dialog above.

However when I try to build and run (x64) I get "Error while trying to run project unable to start debugging, remote debugging monitor closed on remote machine."

So it must have something to do with msvsmon and x64.

Friday, December 23, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Another piece of info, I've started a WP project, and when the emulator exits. I get

"The remote connection to the device has been lost. Please verify the device connection and restart debugging."

Is that normal? I think this is related to my previous errors. Because anytime I exit out of my desktop app running the x64 debugger I get a similar "Attaching the proteusdebugengine debugger to process ... failed...".

Is there a way to check if all the Windows Registry Values for VS are correct. I've tried the debuggerdiagnostics.exe but I think that is outdated. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/greggm/archive/2004/04/16/114828.aspx

I do recall windows update installing vs2010 sp1, it failed and then later succedded. I think I was trying to close VS2010, but it would not close so I restarted. It indicated in my windows update history that it failed.  I have also tried repairing VS2010 SP1 but did not fix the issue.

Maybe I could get a hold of the installer logs? Does anyone know where they are located for VS2010 SP1 installer.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 8:47 PM
  • First let's say the msvsmon problem, do you mean that this problem also appeared when you want debug"F5" a Console Application project or a Windows Form Application project?

The post always said that it cannot debug, or the debugger cannot be boot, can you help me to clarify if the project is fine when you build it before try to debug it in Visual Studio?

If the problem occur everywhere just when you use x64 target platform or others which make it use the remote debug tech (msvsmon)?

If so, then I would like to let me try what I said in this thread, just config the remote debug for your project, and then use your computer name as the remote computer name.

The "WP" project is a Windows Phone 7 Application project?

Maybe the problem is just with the special project, you can try to delete all the breakpoints, then close Visual Studio and reopen it, then use clean option to clean your project, then try build and debug it, as this thread's solution: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsmobiledev/thread/eac49c1e-4272-4709-8005-906bcfceef7c/

Or it is a coding problem, instead of the project settings or Visual Studio and Windows problems, try to review your codes, since there's one case which is a codes problem caused this error message: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/netfxcompact/thread/7627a903-cb5a-47f8-a23e-792761408072/

Or the tools installation sequence affect the problem, then you can ref this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsphone7series/thread/37a88682-21ee-476e-8c33-d76182c14bd8/

If you want to collect the log for Visual Studio installation, then you can use this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/2009/05/22/updated-log-collection-utility-available-for-visual-studio-2010-and-net-4-0-beta-1.aspx

The article would be not out date, just some file maybe not in the same places, at least I have not found the mdm.exe in my Windows 7 System. And I have not got the problem, so it will be hard to check if the all information provided there are out date.

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, December 26, 2011 6:32 AM
  • I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. 
    What about this problem now? 
    Would you mind letting us know the result of the suggestions?

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Mike, the message dialog appears after the application exits. The debugger actually seems to work fine, I can set breakpoints. However, After I close the application I get the following dialog:

"attaching the proteusdebugengine debugger to process ... failed. the debugger is not properly installed. cannot debug the requested type of code. run setup to install or repair the debugger".

It does it with Console and WPF apps. I haven't used remote debugging so I don't know. Yes WP is windows phone 7.

1. It doesn't have to do with breakpoints. 2. It does it on all projects. 3. It doesn't appear to be a problem other than it is an annoying dialog everytime I exit the app.

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 6:01 PM
  • Then please try those options:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/greggm/archive/2004/04/16/114828.aspx

to repair .Net Framework components and the oleaut32.dll component, you will also need to consider repair the mdm.exe if you have in your system.

Then please let me know the result.

Best wishes,

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 5:35 AM
  • 1.) C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319>regsvr32.exe mscordbi.dll

OutPut: "The module "mscordbi.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found.

Make sure the "mscordbi.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again."2

2.) C:\Windows\System32>regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll

Output: Successful.

3.) %CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe" /regserver

I Do Not Have a mdm.exe!

Thursday, January 05, 2012 9:28 PM
  • But have you tried to repair the .Net framework as it said in that article very first?
    Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    Friday, January 06, 2012 3:27 AM
  • Yes, I've tried reparing both .NET & Visual Studio. One of the first things I tried.
    • Edited by Cpro00 Friday, January 06, 2012 4:27 PM
    Friday, January 06, 2012 4:26 PM
  • I will involve another exports into this thread to help you.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best wishes,

Mike Zhang[MSFT]
    Monday, January 09, 2012 7:39 AM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=21459 (WCF and WF samples) I downloaded this a while ago and tried to run some of the samples and some of the projects had some setup scripts to get them to run. I have since deleted this, but some of these scripts may have changed something.  It seems right about the time I started seeing these errors.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Hi jedi06,

Are you still facing the issue? If so, I would suggest a more in-depth level of support. Please visit below link to see the various paid support options that are availble to better meet your needs:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone 

Thanks & Regards,

Leon

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:00 AM