none
Ordered test timing out after 30 min

Question

• Ill keep it simple.

We have around 240 unit tests which in fact execute Selenium UI tests (yes they work).

To avoid conflicts with some other tests that run for a long time I have to run several tests before others so i opted for an ordered test.

Added the tests in the order i wanted. Changed the build definition to use the ordered test and started a test run. The tests start ok but they always timeout after 30 min. I tried using a test setting file but it did not work (presumably because the ordered test contains unit tests and these ignore test setting files in VS2012). I read about the new run setting file but since there is no wizzard to edit it or a list of everything that can be added i have no idea if a timeout option even exists.

Could anyone help me with this problem?

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 11:17 AM

All replies

• Hello RisingStart1,

Thank you for your post.

I would like to know if there are other types of test project rather than only unit test project in your solution in VS2012. If yes, I suggest that you can add a testsettings file into the solution and then select this testsettings file in VS IDE Test menu. Then you can open this testsettins file and navigate to Test Timeouts. You can adjust the two options based on your run time requirement. For example you can uncheck the “Abort a test run…” option or modify its exceeded time to enough large.

For more information, please see: Specifying Test Settings for Visual Studio Tests

I have tried when I run an ordered test with some Coded UI tests and unit tests. When the specific exceeded time is reached, the corresponding test will stop and the rest of tests will be skipped. The testsetting file is useful.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 3:10 AM
  • there are several other projects in the solution and i have already tried using the test settings file and tweak the timeout option, however this seems to be ignored. no matter if i set it to less or more the tests always timeout after 30 min
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:54 AM
  • Hello RisingStar1,

Have you selected the testsettings file after you create it? If you don't select it, I think that it is helpless.

See:

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:00 AM
  • yup. i did.

does anyone have a list of everything you can put in the new runsettings file? prehaps it would work with that but i haven't fund a list of attributes

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:47 AM
  • Hello RisingSatr1,

You can refer to the following article to know the .runsettings file configuration:

Configuring Unit Tests by using a .runsettings File

But it seems that the .runsettings file does not have timeout element.

I suggest that you try to add a .testsetting file to your solution and specify the timeout on another machine to check the result since I can accomplish to control the timeout using .testsettings on our side.

In addition, you can try to check the Continue after failure in orderedtest page to check if the ordered test can continue when one of tests fails at the timeout error.

Hope you can update the result after you have tried my suggestion.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:20 AM