none
Machine can not run .vsto file

Question

• I just created my first excel add in. It works well on my machine, since it is an internal add in and only less than 3 machine may need it. So I think I do not need to creat an .exe file for it. I copy the whole debug folder of my add in to another develop machine, run the .vsto file there, then it works well on the develop machine.

Now I recompile it in release mode and copy the whole release folder to a normal machine. This machine has .net 3.5, then I installed Office 2007 PIA on it, but looks this machine still can not recognize the .vsto file and can not run it.  The thing which is a little bit strange is when I run the PIA.exe file, it flashed in about 2 seconds and did not ask any information like intallation path, and it did not show me any message like successfully installed, the install progress window just disappeared. I am not very sure whether the PIA installed successfully.

Please help.   

Monday, May 03, 2010 8:47 PM

Answers

• Assuming that you're using Visual Studio 2008 to create your add-in, is the Visual Studio Tools for Office 3.0 runtime installed on the computer where running the .vsto file is not working? I believe that you must have the VSTO runtime installed in order for Windows to know how to launch the .vsto file.

When you install a VSTO add-in by running the .vsto file, this process bypasses the checks for pre-requisites (including the VSTO runtime). If you are not certain whether the deployment computer will have the VSTO runtime (and/or other prerequisites installed), then you should instead install the add-in by running the setup.exe program that is generated when you publish the add-in. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb608592.aspx.

If the Office 2007 PIAs are installed properly, you should see a series of Microsoft.Office.Interop.* assemblies with a version number of 12.0.0.0 listed in the GAC (C:\Windows\assembly).

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by seaor Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:42 PM
    Monday, May 03, 2010 9:35 PM

All replies

• Assuming that you're using Visual Studio 2008 to create your add-in, is the Visual Studio Tools for Office 3.0 runtime installed on the computer where running the .vsto file is not working? I believe that you must have the VSTO runtime installed in order for Windows to know how to launch the .vsto file.

When you install a VSTO add-in by running the .vsto file, this process bypasses the checks for pre-requisites (including the VSTO runtime). If you are not certain whether the deployment computer will have the VSTO runtime (and/or other prerequisites installed), then you should instead install the add-in by running the setup.exe program that is generated when you publish the add-in. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb608592.aspx.

If the Office 2007 PIAs are installed properly, you should see a series of Microsoft.Office.Interop.* assemblies with a version number of 12.0.0.0 listed in the GAC (C:\Windows\assembly).

• Marked as answer by seaor Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:42 PM
    Monday, May 03, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Thanks McLean

I can install my .vsto file without problem now. Just manually connect vstoee.dll file as the open with file. But now I have some loading problem. My add in can not be loaded. I compiled my add in under release mode, set all reference "copy to local", it runs well on my development machine. I do not know what else I should do here. Any suggestion?  Thanks!

By the way, I checked a bunch of aticles, some of them talked about the reason "not full trust". How can I check and set this for my add in? thanks!

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Hm, I don't think you should not have to set vstoee.dll as the file to open .vsto files with. If you installed the Visual Studio Tools for Office 3.0 runtime, then you should just have to double-click the .vsto file to install the add-in.

To help troubleshoot your issue, you can try several things:

• To see if there is an installation error, you can check the event log on the computer that can't run the add-in. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc442816.aspx.
    • To see if there is an error with loading or running your add-in, try creating the VSTO_SUPRESSDISPLAYALERTS environment variable on the computer that can't load the add-in and set it to 1. This should display a message box with some information about the loading error. For more information about this debugging task, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms269003.aspx.

If it is still not clear what is causing the error, it might be best for you to open a new thread, since the original issue in this thread is now answered.

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 4:57 PM