none
What is the best way to handle this requirement?

Question

• Dear All:

I have a requirement as following:

There are a lot of screens. All of these scrrens are different images. The application show one screen each time. and they has fixed size 800*600. Each screen has a few button to do some work. and these screen can switch to each other if the user hit the specific button on the screen. What is the best way to fulfill this requirement. For now. I have two idea, One is using the tabControl. use tabItem to stand for each screen, but the disadvantage is I have to control all the event in one .cs file. the other idea is use normal windows. each window stand for each screen. but this idea's disadvantage is that when we switch each window, it will be a little bit slow.

What should I choose, or is there any other idea? Thank you in advance.

Simon

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:26 AM

Answers

• I think a wizard is what you want, maybe a quick jump feature is also required since you're thinking about TabControl. Making each wizard page in a single Window sounds well organized, but you have to maintain go forward(Next)/backward(Back) functions in all your windows. Why don't you make yourself a framework and put you pages into several UserControl?

Since it's WPF forum, my suggestion is to use Frame control as the background framework to display each UserControl in it. In a UserControl, put your image as the background of your control-holder Grid/Canvas.

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Hi 阔海,

Based on your description, I think create your Usercontrol is a goo way as Kidd  Liu says, you could combin the Image and Button as one control.

Another way to achieve this is:

because you display only one image(screen), I think you could control the visibilty to achieve your goal.

On the other hand, I am not sure your project is WPF or WinForm.

Best regards,

Sheldon _Xiao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

Ok in my opinion there should be only one screen and the images should be loaded into the screen on demand as needed.Then again do the users want to look at two images ot the same time. Should the single display be splitable. how many images are we talking about here? Does the user want to see them all? at the same time? do they want a little preview list so they can choose what images to display at the same time.

Tell you what though your asking the wrong people. Who will be using this software? What do they want? How would they like the software to meet this requirement?

This is a good example of how a written requirment isn't adequate. Use this requirement as a reason to talk to the people who will use the software. Genchi genbutsu.

"The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure thought-stuff. He builds his castles in the air, from air, creating by exertion of the imagination." - Fred Brooks
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:46 PM
  • Hi Derek Smyth:

Thank you for your reply. Let me clarify it. Yes, there only winForm shows each time let user manipulate it. I use winForm here since it is easy to understand, on the winForm there is a button named Next, if the user hit the next, it will go to the winForm2. this kind of like installer, you can hit next and back to switch different winForm. There a lot of winForm need to be switch, and there are also a lot of button to do somework on the each winForm. So I don't know which it the best way to do it. use TabControl or Windows.

Simon

Friday, March 25, 2011 2:27 AM
  • I think a wizard is what you want, maybe a quick jump feature is also required since you're thinking about TabControl. Making each wizard page in a single Window sounds well organized, but you have to maintain go forward(Next)/backward(Back) functions in all your windows. Why don't you make yourself a framework and put you pages into several UserControl?

Since it's WPF forum, my suggestion is to use Frame control as the background framework to display each UserControl in it. In a UserControl, put your image as the background of your control-holder Grid/Canvas.

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Hi 阔海,

Based on your description, I think create your Usercontrol is a goo way as Kidd  Liu says, you could combin the Image and Button as one control.

Another way to achieve this is:

because you display only one image(screen), I think you could control the visibilty to achieve your goal.

On the other hand, I am not sure your project is WPF or WinForm.

Best regards,

Sheldon _Xiao[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Hi 阔海,

I am marking your issue as "Answered", if you have new  findings about your issue, please let me know.

Best regards,

Sheldon _Xiao[MSFT]

Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:01 PM