none
Entity Framework templates will not install in VS 2010 Ultimate

Question

• Everything else works fine, but I can't get the entity framework project templates to install. I have uninstalled and re-installed 3 times. I found the entity framework setup msi on the disk, but it says it must run from the main install. I found a forum topic where they removed 3 registry keys between re-installs, but that didn't work. I have tried repairing the installation. Nothing will install the templates.

My configuration is Windows 7 Enterprise. I have the UAC turned off. I have SQL Server 2008 R2 installed. I'm running the TFS client. I also have VS 2005 and VS 2008 installed.

Throw me a bone.

Monday, August 30, 2010 8:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Jon,

No, ADO.NET Entity Data Model is an item template instead of a project template.  J   Can you add a new Entity Data Model item in your projects?  

Good day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Jon Brammeier Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 2:26 AM

All replies

• Hello Jon,

Could you please have a check whether the EF templates are under the correct folder?   E.g.  C# EDM template should be under the folder \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplate\CSharp\Data\1033\AdoNetEntityDataModelCSharp.zip.  

If the templates are there, please run devenv.exe /IntallVSTemplates to reset the VS template folders, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241279.aspx. 

Or if the issue still exists, can you tell me whether you choose full install or custom install when you install VS2010?   Please check whether Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 ADO.NET Entity Framework Tools is installed via Control Panel à Programs and Features, and list the installed components of VS2010 via VS Help menu à About Microsoft Visual Studio à Installed products.

Good day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:29 AM
  • OK. I see Entity Data Model under Add New Item. I thought it was a Project Type. Is that correct?

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Hi Jon,

No, ADO.NET Entity Data Model is an item template instead of a project template.  J   Can you add a new Entity Data Model item in your projects?  

Good day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

• Marked as answer by Jon Brammeier Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 2:26 AM
  • Yep. Tried it this morning. Works great.

I had it stuck in my head this was a project type. Somewhere I took a left turn and couldn't get back.

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:27 PM
  • My pleasure!  :-)

Good day!

Best Regards,
    Lingzhi Sun

Thursday, September 02, 2010 1:07 AM