none
Can't create new folders

Question

• Hi,

I have a valid Project Collection and I also have added some TeamProjects and folders, but now I can't create a new folder for which reason ever.

I right click the team project and select 'Add Folder'. In the right pan I get a new line with 'NewFolder', nice. I change the name to a value I need.

Now I have my folder in the list marked as 'add'.

I double click the folder and I get a empty right pan, because there isn't something in this folder.

Now I want to create another folder ( a subfolder under the previous added one), but I get the message, "

Für "D:\Gerhards Playground\Code Repository\Geo\GeoConverter\New Folder" wurde keine passende Zuordnung gefunden.", which means, that 'New Folder' isn't present on disk or so. Yeah, sure because I renamed the dammed folder...

I play around for an hour or so, deleting the folder, creating new ones do whatever you can imagine, no chance.

There is a folder on disk, and its on the right place, having the right name and is accessible, so whats wrong???

Thanks for helping.

With best regards

Gerhard

Gerhard

Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:14 AM

Answers

• Thanks Arun,

I just changed my Laptop against a new one and the problem occurs at the new one. So I came up with the idea to try the same operation using the old one and this time it works great. So you were right.

After I created the folder structure I try to access the folders from the new machine and this time it wasn't a problem. I added the files and I try to get the files, a new project created on the new machine, back to the old using 'Get latest version'. Works.

So, I will try it once more with the next project and if it dosn#t work, I will try to deinstall/reinstall the TFS client.

Why is it called TeamFS, you need 2 machines to store one project ... hihi

Gerhard

Gerhard

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:24 PM

All replies

• 1. Can you try doing the same operation from a different machine. If it works there, then repair/uninstall+reinstall TE on your machine.

2. Create the folder structure (parent/childs/grandchildfolders/files)...so on and open Team Explorer. Do the same procedure of adding new content and commit/checkin pending changes.

3. I hope your folder exist on the same machine, otherwise, make sure you have read access to the folder sitting on a remote machine.

Arun Sangal Software Configuration Management Denver USA

Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Thanks Arun,

I just changed my Laptop against a new one and the problem occurs at the new one. So I came up with the idea to try the same operation using the old one and this time it works great. So you were right.

After I created the folder structure I try to access the folders from the new machine and this time it wasn't a problem. I added the files and I try to get the files, a new project created on the new machine, back to the old using 'Get latest version'. Works.

So, I will try it once more with the next project and if it dosn#t work, I will try to deinstall/reinstall the TFS client.

Why is it called TeamFS, you need 2 machines to store one project ... hihi

Gerhard

Gerhard

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Gerhard,

In order to do what you are trying to do you should have a workspace mapping correctly setup.

In you current case you have most probably mapped only the top level Team Project to a local folder BUT you have unchecked the recursive flag. By doing so all of the folders beyond first child level are not being mapped and that is why you are getting the message about the mapping.

To solve your problem I suggest you create a single folder mapping for you root server folder to the C:\TFS for example and have that mapping recursive. By doing it this way, you do not have to do the mapping every time for a new folder or a new Team Project.

MSDN documentation: Create and Work With Workspaces

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. --- Success, Damir

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Hi Gerhard, 

Thanks for your post. 

After you reinstall the TFS client, we look forward to your updates, thanks!           

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, May 11, 2012 3:30 AM
  • I ended up creating a folder on my local drive and then dragging it into TFS.  That seemed to work, although I had to play with the folder naming and local path because it wanted to put the files from C:\MyLocalFolder\ into C:\MyLocalFolder\MyLocalFolder\.

pita

Friday, April 19, 2013 5:48 PM