none
Visual Studio 2010 Crashes on start Debugging

Question

• I ma running Visual studio 2010 Ultimate under Windows 2008 R2 server. I start VS as administrator. 

When I start to debug my project, VS crashes. After going through several forums, I started the remote debugger manually. Now I can debug my solution once after restarting VS. For each debugging session I need to restart VS which is really very frustrating. In the event viewer I can see following Event:

"The remote debugger is unable to communicate with Visual Studio, and must abort the remote debugging session. Please restart debugging."

I would highly appreciate any help in this regards,

Thanks a lot!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:19 PM

All replies

• Hi pagarwal,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

There are several things I would like to clarify with you:

• Did this issue happens on one particular project, or happens on every project?
    • Did you have any Visual Studio add-ins/extensions installed?

You can follow the common troubleshooting methods first:

• Run devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
    • Run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs in Command Prompt.
    • Run devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.
    • Reboot the machine in Safe Mode. This can isolate some third party application/driver's interference.
    • Switch and try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

Additionally, another useful tool is the Process Monitor tool which can capture the access log. Filter the process name devenv.exe in the log so that you see only the related list. This should give you more infomation on what the registry keys/ files are being accessed when the error happens.

If these steps still not working, you can try to use some tool like Procdump to get the dump file of the crash. Then you report your issue with dump file to MSDN feedback site: http://connect.microsoft.com/visualStudio/.
    Or you can use Windbg Tool to analyze dump file. Please see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/msdnts/archive/2006/11/24/how-to-debug-application-crash-hang-in-production-environment.aspx.

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day.

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Hi pagarwal,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 15, 2011 5:46 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your response. I'd already tried some of the troubleshooting steps that you mentioned in your response.

Currently due to project deadline, I have switched to a different machine. But once I'm done with it, I will once again try and follow them sequentially as you mentioned and update the thread with the results.

Thanks,
    Pawan 

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Hi Andrew Wu,

I use VS 2008 and VS 2010 to develop a C# project but both VSs have encountered a problem and needs to close. I try to reset devenv's settings and run in Safe Mode but this error occurs again. The problem details are:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
      Application Name:    devenv.exe
      Application Version:    10.0.30319.1
      Application Timestamp:    4ba1fab3
      Fault Module Name:    unknown
      Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
      Exception Code:    c00000fd
      Exception Offset:    0d7d2786
      OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
      LCID:    1033

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Please help me to fix this problem. I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Have a nice day.

Thanh Tung

Thursday, January 05, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

I tried following steps:

• Run devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
    • Run devenv /ResetSkipPkgs in Command Prompt.
    • Run devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.

and still the problem persists.

Now I'll try to debug this issue using process monitor as you suggested. Meanwhile if you have any other thoughts on how to solve then please do let us know.

Thanks,

Pawan

Monday, January 09, 2012 8:05 PM
  • I have i similar problem but i can debug my program only i safe mode how can i fix my DEVENV.exe

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:19 PM