none
World Wide Publishing service won't start and Explorer running slowly

Question

• Hi,

On Friday one of the Application Pools for TFS failed. I restarted it, but within seconds it stopped again.

I restarted the server running TFS 2008 (sp1) but now Explorer runs slowly and the World Wide Publishing service won't start.

What I mean by explorer being slow is that it runs, but you can only use it for a few seconds before it is unresponsive again.

Any task that relies on it is thus also slow!

The service is failing with error:

Windows could not start the World Wide Publishing Service on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code -2147221164.

In Event viewer:

The World Wide Web Publishing Service service terminated with service-specific error 2147746132 (0x80040154).

We urgently need a fix for this as our guys can't checkout/in any code!

Running on Windows Server 2003.

Thanks
    Neil

Monday, March 02, 2009 10:11 AM

All replies

• I have managed to get back to the point where I have IIS started and the App Pool is failing.

I did this by making a backup of the IIS Metabase files (I copied the xml files in C:\Windows\System32\Inetsrv) uninstalled IIS then re-installed.

Once I'd checked the service did start, I copied the xmls back.

Still have a problem with the Application Pool though.

Scheduler service starts then stops, and there is a CS0007 error relating to TFS Scheduler in Event Viewer
    Monday, March 02, 2009 1:35 PM
  • On Friday the Team Foundation Server Application Pool failed with Unspecified Error.

In the event viewer you can see that processes servicing that AppPool have been terminated and then the App Pool fails.

I am unable to use TFS toatally.

I also get a TFS Scheduler CS0007 error in the event viewer.

Explorer is also unusable as it gives moments of possible use and then freezes, before again being usable for a short time (usually a few seconds!).

Has anyone any ideas? I need this sorted urgently!
    • Merged by Bill.Wang Monday, March 09, 2009 1:46 AM Merge the 2 sessions of the same question.
    Monday, March 02, 2009 2:02 PM
  • it seems that the problem extends further than tfs.

I believe that w3wp.exe is the problem here, as whichever IIS TFS site I visit, the problem is the same, Server Unavailable.

Neil
    Monday, March 02, 2009 3:37 PM
  • For the most part I have sorted my problems by repairing the installations.

However, when I re-ran the Sharepoint wizard, I cannot now connect to my sites.

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 10:23 AM