none
Migrate ALL work items (for all projects in team collections)

Question

• This is TFS 2010 TC1 to TFS 2010 TC2 Migration.

I've selected a project from tfs project selector. BUT I want to migrate work items for all projects in team collection. So I removed query from UI "[System.AreaPath] UNDER 'ProjectName'"

So Now my xml looks like below:

<Filters>
              <FilterPair Neglect="false">
                <FilterItem MigrationSourceUniqueId="473c883a-d9f5-4ca9-a1b0-d3fb7a37dca7" FilterString="" />
                <FilterItem MigrationSourceUniqueId="674ba717-f7a8-40eb-9cc1-5d3d8de81d99" FilterString="[System.Id] = 0" />
              </FilterPair>
     </Filters>

Does it make sense? Will it work? (I've to ask before running because this is a huge migration) If not, is there any other way to achieve it?

Thank you!!!

Manish
    • Edited by Manish K Jain Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:50 AM add details
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• We have not tested this scenario and do not recommend a migration with complete history either. I will, however, as a matter of interest test this scenario later today and post my findings.

In your scenario, where you are moving from TFS 2010 to TFS 2010 I would recommend that you rather consider a standard team project collection move. See "Move a Team Project Collection" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd936138.aspx). It will allow you to migrate (move) your history without loss of date, WIT ID and Changeset number data.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 1:43 PM
  • I'm changing template during migration also trying to keep same work item numbers. I'll wait for your response. thank you so much!!!
    Manish
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:47 PM
  • I ran the test and have summarised the results and the recommendations in TFS Integration Tools – Can I migrate all work items from one team project collection to another?.

Advise if the post answers your question and if my understanding of your question (Scenario 3 in the blog post) was correct.

• Marked as answer by Manish K Jain Wednesday, November 02, 2011 1:01 AM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Thank you Willy for all the work you performed to test and document it. This is not good news for us. Yes, I was trying scenario 3. I don't mind scenario 1 or 2 if that help us. I posted a question which you responded few days ago. I'm trying to migrate all work items so that it migrates in same order as original and maintains work item numbers. Now in source system I've 3 team projects (1 live and 2 test projects) - target is same structure which is empty and auto number reset. I believe all work item stored in dbo.WorkItemsAre and WorkItem ID is identity column in DB. Luckily I've never destroyed a work item. So, as you responded on other thread, theoretically if I migrate in same order it should migrate all work items and maintain numbers (from source dbo.WorkItemsAre to target dbo.WorkItemsAre regardless of team project) - does this make sense? Any ideas how can I achieve it? As per client, Work item numbers are tied to all different/external systems and we must keep it same. I understand you had a suggestion to use EnableInsertReflectedWorkItemId which is a major change because now all queries/reports/customizations needs to change in addition people are used to ID field. Thank you!

Manish
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:51 PM
  • "Theoretically if I migrate in same order" ... as stated it is a theory and I am not aware of any tooling that will allow you to perform an exact replay of history across a number of team projects.

Other than considering the EnableInsertReflectedWorkItemId feature, you could research other migration solutions or customize the TFS Integration Platform and Adapters to meet your specific requirements.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:11 PM
  • Does Integration platform only moves the source code with history from source TFS 2008 project to TFS 2010 target project???

I would like to know if it moves even the work items from TFS 2008 source project to TFS 2010 target project...

Let me know your reply.

• Edited by j_bon Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:11 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:10 AM