none
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) (x64) install problems

Question

• everytime I try to install this program or another program, i.e. Paperport trys to install this program, I get a 1935 error message and the install aborts. I need this program for some of my other programs to run. No luck in resolving this on my own. HELP
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Themaddoc,

Thanks for your post.

The error code 1935 means that Windows Installer encountered an error while trying to install assemblies to the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) or the Win32 GAC (WinSxS). This error is considered fatal and causes setup to fail and initiate rollback. To troubleshoot this issue, we will need to check the Windows Installer verbose log file to locate the cause of this issue. Please see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2004/11/10/255346.aspx

For instance, if you are installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86), after download the installer, you can use some third party tool like WinRAR to extract the vcredist.exe installer to a vcredist.msi file. Then we can run command:
    ><installer path>\vcredist.msi /log <log file path\log file name>

The installation log will generated in <log file path\log file name>, please check the logs to find the blocking issue. Additionally, it is worse a try to also check cbs logs in %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log.

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I think your issue should be raised in the Visual Studio Setup and Installation. I believe they will know more information of this issue than us, and I will move this one to that forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:00 AM
  • Hi Themaddoc,

Thanks for your post.

The error code 1935 means that Windows Installer encountered an error while trying to install assemblies to the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) or the Win32 GAC (WinSxS). This error is considered fatal and causes setup to fail and initiate rollback. To troubleshoot this issue, we will need to check the Windows Installer verbose log file to locate the cause of this issue. Please see: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2004/11/10/255346.aspx

For instance, if you are installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86), after download the installer, you can use some third party tool like WinRAR to extract the vcredist.exe installer to a vcredist.msi file. Then we can run command:
    ><installer path>\vcredist.msi /log <log file path\log file name>

The installation log will generated in <log file path\log file name>, please check the logs to find the blocking issue. Additionally, it is worse a try to also check cbs logs in %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log.

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Hi Themaddoc,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards, 

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Monday, October 31, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Sorry about that. Actually nothing works. I installed the program on a laptop running win xp. So much for vista and win 7.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:05 PM