none
Find multiples of a number

Question

• Hi,

I was trying to define a function that would take a number and return a sequence of it's multiples, but it gets stuck somehow. Here it is:

let Multiplos x : seq<bigint>
        seq { // <- here
            for i in x .. infinito do
                if x % i = 0I then yield i
            }

I tried to debug it, but the call stack gets stuck in the line marked with a comment. Also, if anything seems strange or stupid in it, I'm willing to change the function itself to an optimized version. "infinito" is suppose to be a representation of positive infinite, but I'm yet to find how to do it (here).

Thanks for reading,

João Miguel

Sunday, November 11, 2012 9:13 PM

Answers

• Not sure what means 'not working'. When I copy & paste it into FSI it does not complain, and multiplos 10I;; then returns a sequence of 10I 20I 30I ... I'm sure you've copied it incorrectly.

In your Multiplos you check if x % i = 0I. You should instead check if i % x = 0I, right? The function gets stuck, because no number i greater than x satisfies x % i = 0I, so it searches for the one eternally.

Also, just a note. I'm glad F# works good in Linux too.
    • Edited by lostmsu Monday, November 12, 2012 8:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by JMCF125 Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:16 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 8:53 PM

All replies

• I guess you need truly infinite sequence here. For example:

let unboundedFrom start =
      Seq.unfold (fun c -> Some(c, c + 1I)) start
    let multiplos x =
      unboundedFrom 1I
      |> Seq.map ((*) x)

Monday, November 12, 2012 12:21 AM
  • Your "multiplos" function isn't working. The types are scrambled, even if I declare the parameter and return type as bigint. Here's the error (FS0001): This expression was expected to have type     seq<System.Numerics.BigInteger> -> 'a     but here has type     seq<'b>

And can you explain to me why doesn't this work:

let Multiplos x : seq<bigint> =
        seq {
            for i in infinitoDesde x do // infinitoDesde does the same as unboundedFrom
                if x % i = 0I then yield i
            }

It compiles but it gets stuck. I'm using MonoDevelop, however, I can use the default Microsoft compiler. I tried with Microsoft's and Mono's compiler, yet when analizing the locals I can see the following:

What's going on here? Everything seems ok, and it only gets stuck on this exact point. As expected from this behaviour, if this function is inserted in F# Interactive it runs forever.

João Miguel

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Not sure what means 'not working'. When I copy & paste it into FSI it does not complain, and multiplos 10I;; then returns a sequence of 10I 20I 30I ... I'm sure you've copied it incorrectly.

In your Multiplos you check if x % i = 0I. You should instead check if i % x = 0I, right? The function gets stuck, because no number i greater than x satisfies x % i = 0I, so it searches for the one eternally.

• Edited by lostmsu Monday, November 12, 2012 8:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by JMCF125 Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:16 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 8:53 PM

Ahrg! How couldn't i notice such a big mistake?!? Well, this is what I get for coding in a hurry.

João Miguel

Monday, November 12, 2012 10:23 PM
  • Also, just a note. I'm glad F# works good in Linux too.

Yes, thanks to the Mono project and MonoDevelop, C# and F# (in the F# case, you'll need an extension).

I'm glad you did find that error (the), but that one was not the reason of why it wasn't working. While debbuging, I noticed the error still appears (as the image in the other replie shows), although in F# Interactive it works. Then, when I click in the equivelent of "step into" quite a lot of times, MonoDevelop crashes.

Hope someone can help me,

João Miguel

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:41 PM
  • I found something that if there are no breakpoints, it works perfectly. Quite strange indeed...

Anyway, @lostmsu, thanks for answering the question by identifying the first error (the swap of x and i).

João Miguel

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:16 PM