none
concept of encapsulation

Question

•  give up with this one, I guess I don’t understand this concept of encapsulation, well I do but I don’t know how to make this program work

I declare in the fraction_class the following: as a PRIVATE

private:

int pnum,pdem;         //private numerator and private denominator use for asignment#5

int pnumb1;

double presult;           //double to hold the fraction decimal value

static char const slash = '/';     //static character field that hold the slash

//Private function to calculate the decimal equivalent of a fraction

//fraction Assig#5

void calculateDecimalValue() 

{presult = ((double) num1 / (double)dem1);}

I understand that I need to declare the functions as a public in order to be able to access the private members of the class. I declare the functions in the class:

//function for to allow the user values for numerator and denominator Assig #5

void EnterFractionValue(int pnum,int pdem);

//Function that display the fraction Assig#5

void displayFraction(int pnum, int pdem, double presult);

All the examples I see in books they hard code the variables in the main function, I know my problem is in the main :

void main(void)

{

fraction_class gprivate;

gprivate.EnterFractionValue(int pnum,int pdem);

gprivate.displayFraction(int pnum, int pdem, double presult,int pnumb1);

} // end main 

I guess I don’t know how to pass the variables from the functions to main…

I will appreciate any help!!

Here is the all code

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// EnDisEncapP5.cpp : main project file.

/******************************************************************************

This main function contains three functions that are declare

in the fraction_class:

EnterFractionValue()

CalculateDecimalValue()

displayFractio()

EnterFractionValue: Prompt the user to enter the value of the numerator

and denominator

CalculateDecimalValue:Function that computes the floating point decimal equivalent

of the fraction, This fuction is called within the Enter Fraction

Value function, it defined private in the fraction_class

DisplayFraction: If the User enter 1: display the fraction as 1/4

2 : display the fraction as a decimal

Assignement # 5:

Students:   

*********************************************************************************/

#include "stdafx.h"

#include <iostream>

#include "fraction_class.h"

#include <iomanip>

using namespace std;

/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: main

Purpose: In keeping with the object oriented concept of encapsulation, the fraction

data are private. Clients programs access the Fraction's data through public functions 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

void fraction_class::EnterFractionValue(int pnum, int pdem)

{

cout << " *****************************************************************************"  <<endl;

cout << " * Please Enter the numerator and the denominator for the fraction,           *" <<endl;

cout << " * If you entered 0 as denominator the program will display                   *" <<endl;

cout << " * and error and will allow you to continue entering numbers until you enter  *" <<endl;

cout << " * a number that is greater than 0 **ENJOY**                                  *" <<endl;

cout << " ****************************************************************************" <<endl;

cout << " " <<endl;

cout << "Enter Numerator : ";

cin >> pnum,

cout <<  "Enter denominator : ";

cin >> pdem; cout << '\n';

if (pnum == 0 ||pdem == 0)

{

cout << "I can not divide by 0. Please enter a number > 0: " <<endl;

cin>> pdem;

}

fraction_class::calculateDecimalValue(); ??? call the private class within EnterFractionValue()

// end of fnEnterFractionValue()

void fraction_class::displayFraction(int pnum, int pdem, int pnumb1, double presult)

{

cout << " *****************************************************************************"<<endl;

cout << " * Please Enter number 1 if you want to see the fraction in a fraction format " <<endl;

cout << " * Enter number 2 if you want to see the fraction as a decimal                " <<endl;

cout << " *****************************************************************************" <<endl;

cout << " " <<endl;

cout << "Enter Number, Remember 1 OR 2: ";

cin >> pnumb1; cout << '\n';

switch(pnumb1)

{

case 1:

cout <<  "You Just Entered: " ; cout <<  pnum,  cout << " / " , cout << pdem; cout << '\n';

break;

case  2:

presult = ((double) pnum / (double)pdem);

cout <<  "You Just Entered: ";  cout <<  presult; cout << '\n';

break;

}

}

void main(void)

{

fraction_class gprivate;

gprivate.EnterFractionValue(int pnum,int pdem);

gprivate.displayFraction(int pnum, int pdem, double presult,int pnumb1);

} // end main 

I am getting those errors

----- Build started: Project: EnDisEncapP5, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Compiling...

EnDisEncapP5.cpp

.\EnDisEncapP5.cpp(51) : error C2511: 'void fraction_class::displayFraction(int,int,int,double)' : overloaded member function not found in 'fraction_class'

C:\Documents and Settings\rechever\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Fraction_Class\Fraction_Class\Fraction_Class\fraction_class.h(13) : see declaration of 'fraction_class'

.\EnDisEncapP5.cpp(74) : error C2144: syntax error : 'int' should be preceded by ')'

.\EnDisEncapP5.cpp(74) : error C2660: 'fraction_class::EnterFractionValue' : function does not take 0 arguments

.\EnDisEncapP5.cpp(74) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'

.\EnDisEncapP5.cpp(75) : error C2144: syntax error : 'int' should be preceded by ')'

.\EnDisEncapP5.cpp(75) : error C2660: 'fraction_class::displayFraction' : function does not take 0 arguments

.\EnDisEncapP5.cpp(75) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'

Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\rechever\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\EnDisEncapP5\EnDisEncapP5\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

EnDisEncapP5 - 7 error(s), 0 warning(s)

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped =

Monday, November 13, 2006 4:53 AM

Answers

• You may understand the concept of encapsulation, but I don't think you've fully comprehended object oriented programming yet It soulds to me like you should get another book, and leave the one you've been reading behind.

Anyhoo, your main function should call the functions of your class with actual parameters, like gprivate.EnterFractionValue(10, 2); rather than as a pseudo declaration; gprivate.EnterFractionValue(int pnum,int pdem);. Also, since the calculated values are already inside the class after doing so, there's no need to feed them back in as you call displayFraction (I take it that this function is meant to display the results of the caluculation performed). It's not terribly good practice to include presentation code within a worker class such as that (read up on cohesion), but I'll let that one slip by.

REche wrote:

I guess I don’t know how to pass the variables from the functions to main…

Passing the values back can be done e.g. by return values. If you have a class function which accepts some values, then another set of functions which does some varied operations on those values (now stored within the class), you can add functions which return the values to get the results of the operations.

Monday, November 13, 2006 8:41 AM