none
Deployment problem in VB.NET 2003

Question

• <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->

Hello everyone,

I am an old VB6 programmer converted to VB.NET 2003. I just completed an application and need to deploy it. The deployment project is named "TwoProgs" and the executable is named "MyNotePad.exe". I was able to partly deploy the application, that is:
    • The executable is at the right place: C:/ProgramFiles/Default Company Name/TwoProgs/MyNotePad.exe.
    • A shortcut is created on the Desktop which starts the program when double-clicked upon.

But I was not able to generate an entry labeled “TwoProgs” in the “Start…All Programs”, the menu that displays all applications available on the target computer. I would like to have an entry labeled “MyNotepad” which starts the executable “MyNotepad.exe” when clicked upon. How do I do this?????

In other words, in the deployment project, what should I do in the File System Panel after selecting the “User’s Program Menu” on the left side?

I am really stuck. Thanks in advance for your help.

Monday, December 03, 2007 4:53 AM

Answers

• Hello mate,
    Deploying your project for programm menu is as simple as creating desktop shortcut.
    You have to do same thing which you have done for creating shortcut on desktop.
    Select File System/User's Program menu and then do the same process which you have applied for creating shortcut.
    i.e create shortcut

Please try it will help you out.

Monday, December 03, 2007 5:31 AM
  • Hey!
    Just fallow some simple step
    Go to setup properties.
    Click on prerequesties...
    Select your prerequesties like
    dotnet faramework, crystal as per your requirment.
    Then rebuild your setup.

I hope this will short out your problem.
    Wednesday, December 05, 2007 11:55 AM
  • Sumit,

Please....give me more details....on how to get there.
    Where is setup properties?
    I did not find this in the file system.
    Help...!  Where is prerequisites?
    How do I get there?  I am lost now.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 4:38 PM
  • BigBuzzard,

1. I tried to open the link you provided in Internet Explorer, this only open the Home page of MSDN but not the download page. Please consider to change the link as follows to download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en 

The Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 is also recommended to install:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&displaylang=en 

2. Actually there are many resources on deloyment the .NET Framework with the Setup.exe file, please read and follow the steps of the articles below:

HOW TO: Distribute the .NET Framework with a Visual Studio .NET Deployment Project

This step-by-step article describes how to distribute the .NET Framework with your application.

When you deploy a Microsoft .NET-connected application, the destination computer must have the .NET Framework installed. If the .NET Framework is not installed, the application cannot run. A Microsoft Visual Studio .NET setup and deployment project does not automatically install the .NET Framework. However, there are ways to make sure that the .NET Framework is installed before your application is installed.

Using Visual Studio .NET to Redistribute the .NET Framework

If you choose to use Dotnetfx.exe for distribution with an application created by you, you must have a validly licensed copy of the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK and you agree that any use or distribution of Dotnetfx.exe associated with your Licensed Product as "Licensed Product" is defined in the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK end user license agreement (the "EULA"), is subject to the terms of the EULA. If you do not have a validly licensed copy of the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK or you do not agree to these terms and conditions, you are not authorized to distribute Dotnetfx.exe.

Hope that can help you.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:47 AM
  • Thank you kindly for your excellent and accurate help.

Now I finally understand that a fully automatic, transparent and silent installation of the .NET Framework package is not possible - when the .NET Framwork is not present on the target computer.

I really thought it could be done since a program like McAfee, which requires the .NET Framework, does it.

I wish Microsoft had included de facto (by default) the .NET Framework as part of Windows XP, and nobody would have any deployment problems anymore. At present we have to ask our customers - who know little about computers - to install yet another program in addition (.NET Framework) when they do not have it.

I'd love to hear your comments if you have the time.

Merry Xmas.

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:45 PM

All replies

• Hello mate,
    Deploying your project for programm menu is as simple as creating desktop shortcut.
    You have to do same thing which you have done for creating shortcut on desktop.
    Select File System/User's Program menu and then do the same process which you have applied for creating shortcut.
    i.e create shortcut

Please try it will help you out.

Monday, December 03, 2007 5:31 AM
  • Thank you so much for your help. Much obliged. Everything is working great now. However comes another problem.

During deployment on the client computer, setup.exe determines if the .Net Framework is installed.
    If it is present, the installation proceeds.
    If it is not present, setup.exe downloads .Net Framework from the Microsoft web site and installs it. To do so, it looks in the file setup.ini which states the URL path for the download.
    My setup.ini file is:

[MSILoader]
    MSIFileName=Atchoum.msi
    [FXSection]
    SupportedRuntimes=1.1.4322
    InstallUrl=http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=9832
    Message=1.1.4322
    UseDefaultMessage=1

When installing on a virgin computer (where the .Net framework is absent) using the above setup.ini file, the system simply opens its browser and displays the page at

http://msdn2.microsoft.com?en-us/netframework/au731542.aspx

and does not download or install the .Net framework automatically.

What gives? Is the URL in the setup.ini file correct??
    What should I do to get a fully automatic and silent download and installation whenever I deploy on a computer where the .Net framework is absent?

I am stuck. Any help is deeply appreciated.

BigBuzzard

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 5:16 AM
  • Hey!
    Just fallow some simple step
    Go to setup properties.
    Click on prerequesties...
    Select your prerequesties like
    dotnet faramework, crystal as per your requirment.
    Then rebuild your setup.

I hope this will short out your problem.
    Wednesday, December 05, 2007 11:55 AM
  • Sumit,

Please....give me more details....on how to get there.
    Where is setup properties?
    I did not find this in the file system.
    Help...!  Where is prerequisites?
    How do I get there?  I am lost now.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 4:38 PM
  • Hello everyone,

I am using VB.Net 2003

As we all know, during deployment on the client computer, setup.exe determines first if the .Net Framework is installed on the client's computer.
    If it is present, the installation proceeds.
    If it is not present, setup.exe downloads .Net Framework from the Microsoft web site and installs it. The file setup.ini states the URL path for the download.
    The setup.ini file generated by the deployment project is:

[MSILoader]
    MSIFileName=Alpha.msi
    [FXSection]
    SupportedRuntimes=1.1.4322
    InstallUrl=http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=9832
    Message=1.1.4322
    UseDefaultMessage=1

When installing on a virgin computer (where the .Net framework is absent) using the above setup.ini file, the system simply opens its browser and displays the page at

http://msdn2.microsoft.com?en-us/netframework/au731542.aspx

and does not download or install the .Net framework automatically.

Can anyone help me to get automatic download and installation working???

Thanks in advance.
    Thursday, December 06, 2007 4:29 PM
  • BigBuzzard,

1. I tried to open the link you provided in Internet Explorer, this only open the Home page of MSDN but not the download page. Please consider to change the link as follows to download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en 

The Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 is also recommended to install:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A8F5654F-088E-40B2-BBDB-A83353618B38&displaylang=en 

2. Actually there are many resources on deloyment the .NET Framework with the Setup.exe file, please read and follow the steps of the articles below:

HOW TO: Distribute the .NET Framework with a Visual Studio .NET Deployment Project

This step-by-step article describes how to distribute the .NET Framework with your application.

When you deploy a Microsoft .NET-connected application, the destination computer must have the .NET Framework installed. If the .NET Framework is not installed, the application cannot run. A Microsoft Visual Studio .NET setup and deployment project does not automatically install the .NET Framework. However, there are ways to make sure that the .NET Framework is installed before your application is installed.

Using Visual Studio .NET to Redistribute the .NET Framework

If you choose to use Dotnetfx.exe for distribution with an application created by you, you must have a validly licensed copy of the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK and you agree that any use or distribution of Dotnetfx.exe associated with your Licensed Product as "Licensed Product" is defined in the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK end user license agreement (the "EULA"), is subject to the terms of the EULA. If you do not have a validly licensed copy of the Microsoft .NET Framework SDK or you do not agree to these terms and conditions, you are not authorized to distribute Dotnetfx.exe.

Hope that can help you.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 6:47 AM
  • Friday, December 14, 2007 5:28 PM
  • Thank you kindly for your excellent and accurate help.

Now I finally understand that a fully automatic, transparent and silent installation of the .NET Framework package is not possible - when the .NET Framwork is not present on the target computer.

I really thought it could be done since a program like McAfee, which requires the .NET Framework, does it.

I wish Microsoft had included de facto (by default) the .NET Framework as part of Windows XP, and nobody would have any deployment problems anymore. At present we have to ask our customers - who know little about computers - to install yet another program in addition (.NET Framework) when they do not have it.

I'd love to hear your comments if you have the time.

Merry Xmas.

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:45 PM