none
Making a Form child to the Word ActiveDocument/Application Window...

Question

• Hi all,

I have only one window form in a word template project. Question is, how can i hook it up with the active document or word application window? programmatically using c#. If i minimize the document window, the form also minimizes.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, June 01, 2007 5:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Raza,

In my opinion, you can handle the event "this.Application.WindowSize". In the handle function, you can change the form's state by judging the windowstate of the word-window. Codes like these:

Code Snippet

Form1 myForm = null;

private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
     {
         this.Application.WindowSize += new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.ApplicationEvents4_WindowSizeEventHandler(Application_WindowSize);
                myForm = new Form1();
                myForm.Show();
     }

void Application_WindowSize(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Document Doc, Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Window Wn)
     {
         switch (this.Application.ActiveWindow.WindowState)
         {
             case Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.WdWindowState.wdWindowStateMinimize:
                 myForm.WindowState = FormWindowState.Minimized;

break;

case Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.WdWindowState.wdWindowStateNormal:
                 myForm.WindowState = FormWindowState.Normal;
                 break;

default:

break;
          }
     }

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Raza,

In my opinion, you can handle the event "this.Application.WindowSize". In the handle function, you can change the form's state by judging the windowstate of the word-window. Codes like these:

Code Snippet

Form1 myForm = null;

private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
     {
         this.Application.WindowSize += new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.ApplicationEvents4_WindowSizeEventHandler(Application_WindowSize);
                myForm = new Form1();
                myForm.Show();
     }

void Application_WindowSize(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Document Doc, Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.Window Wn)
     {
         switch (this.Application.ActiveWindow.WindowState)
         {
             case Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.WdWindowState.wdWindowStateMinimize:
                 myForm.WindowState = FormWindowState.Minimized;

break;

case Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.WdWindowState.wdWindowStateNormal:
                 myForm.WindowState = FormWindowState.Normal;
                 break;

default:

break;
          }
     }

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 8:29 AM
  • Thanks Ji Zhou,

I will try your code BUT one of my actual requirement is to use my windows form always at the top of my Word Template Document, if in use. I can able to place it somewhere on the document screen and able to work in the document as well. I dont want it to go behind the document window when i click inside the document, as it behaves currently. I am looking similar to the help window, as it always at the top.

Thanks,

-Syed

Thursday, June 07, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Hi Syed,

Sorry for misunderstanding. If you are using Word2003, I think you can use Action Pane to achieve that, and if Word2007, Custom Task Pane will be a better choice. To see more about Action Pane and Custom Task Pane, refer following links:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h6b1d03x(VS.80).aspx

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa722570.aspx

Thanks

Ji

Friday, June 08, 2007 2:33 AM
  • Hi Ji,

I am already using a custom task pane with multiple tabs on it and almost fully occupied. From an Smart Tag action item i am looking forward to display a multiline text in a window's form that i can place somewhere on the screen (need always on the top of the word document application like help window). Also trying to accomplish  a task from another action menu item which uses the task pane objects hopefully get it through ROT as its a commnunication between document and addin.

Thanks,

-Syed

Friday, June 08, 2007 6:13 PM