none
msvsmon fails to start on vista home premium

Question

• I have two machines, identical. both fail to start msvsmon giving the same error
    [Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor]
    The following error occurred: The Visual Studio Remote Debugger does not support this edition of Windows.
    View Msvsmon's help for more information.
                                                                        [OK]

Both machines have:
    Windows Vista(tm) Home Premium
    Visual Studio 2008 Team Edition (Developer)

What might be causing this error?

-Bean
    • Edited by Enders Shadow Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:28 PM typo (why -> what)
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:26 PM

Answers

• I ran into this same issue and found another solution if you have Vista Home Premium. You can run msvsmon from the command prompt in no-authentication mode. Note that as the many warnings say you should only use the -noauth and -anyuser switches in your own private network.

For help:
    msvsmon /?

msvsmon -noauth -anyuser -nostatus -nosecuritywarn
    • Marked as answer by Enders Shadow Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:26 AM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

A post here does seem to be related to what you are seeing. 
    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=720298&SiteID=1

Can you please try the instructions given in the above post. If this does not work, do let us know.

Thanks,
    Parool
    Parool Mody, Visual Studio Debugger
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Hello Parool,

Thanks for your reply. I remember finding that post before I made this question, but didn't feel it was a similar issue because the issue included the sympton that msvsmon could actually start; it won't even start for me complaining that it doesn't support this version of windows.

However, I'm confident you know much more than I do about VS2008, so I considered each thing done by the people involved with the issue on the link you gave. I turned off my firewall (still failed to start msvsmon because 'does not support this version of windows'), thought of starting a remote debugging service in the services registry (under admin tools), it was in fact disabled, I enabled and started it, no avail. I run those command prompt commands given as a solution on said url, but to no avail (note, i'm not undoing the efforts as I add attempts). I even tried to start msvsmon as admin, no luck.

Gratefully and patiently awaiting your reply,
    Bean
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 8:14 AM
  • Hi Ryan,

Remote debugging does NOT support Vista Home Premium. Remote Debugging requires an operating system that supports full Windows Authentication. In some future version of Visual Studio, we hope to support other forms of authentication. However, we are currently deeply tied to Windows Authentication. 

For now there are two options - buy a business edition of Windows or debug locally.

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Visual Studio Debugger Dev
    Monday, September 08, 2008 9:15 PM
  • I ran into this same issue and found another solution if you have Vista Home Premium. You can run msvsmon from the command prompt in no-authentication mode. Note that as the many warnings say you should only use the -noauth and -anyuser switches in your own private network.

For help:
    msvsmon /?

msvsmon -noauth -anyuser -nostatus -nosecuritywarn
    • Marked as answer by Enders Shadow Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:26 AM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:23 AM
  • Thanks a ton Raptor.

This solution does not provide remote debugging for .NET applications, but at least it does for native code. Most of my work these days is in .NET, but at least I can enjoy the remote debugging otherwise.

I was having trouble starting msvsmon in any other configuration because I was using links/shortcuts to the application, thus your command line options were essential to helping me get around this problem.

Thank you again,
    Ryan
    Saturday, October 04, 2008 4:28 AM
  • Gregg,

Thanks for replying.  It is essential, when developing, to ensure that applications work on all intended editions of the OS.  We are tracking an issue with an app and Home Premium, and expect the ability to remote debug this and every other edition.

Please chime in and let us know that VS 2010 supports remote debugging on all MS supported editions of OSs, including all editions of Win 7.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:12 PM