none
The item does not exist at the specified version

Question

• Hi there,

I'm having a problem retrieving a project from TFS. I'm consisently getting this error (extracted from the CruiseControl.NET server log)

2008-02-08 09:01:36,990 [Online Services Solution Template:INFO] Project: 'Online Services Solution Template' is first in queue: 'Online Services Solution Template' and shall start integration.
    2008-02-08 09:01:37,010 [Online Services Solution TemplateBig SmileEBUG] Checking Team Foundation Server for Modifications
    2008-02-08 09:01:37,010 [Online Services Solution TemplateBig SmileEBUG] From: 7/02/2008 9:01:32 AM - To: 8/02/2008 9:01:36 AM
    2008-02-08 09:01:38,712 [Online Services Solution Template:ERROR] INTERNAL ERROR: The item $/Online Services Solution Template/Main/Source does not exist at the specified version.
    ----------
    Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client.ItemNotFoundException: The item $/Online Services Solution Template/Main/Source does not exist at the specified version. ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The item $/Online Services Solution Template/Main/Source does not exist at the specified version.
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client.Repository.ProcessHttpResponse(HttpWebResponse response, Stream responseStream, WebException webException, XmlReader& xmlResponseReader)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client.Repository.ExecWebServiceRequest(HttpWebRequest request, XmlWriter requestXml, String methodName, HttpWebResponse& response)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client.Repository.QueryHistory(String workspaceName, String workspaceOwner, ItemSpec itemSpec, VersionSpec versionItem, String user, VersionSpec versionFrom, VersionSpec versionTo, Int32 maxCount, Boolean includeFiles, Boolean generateDownloadUrls, Boolean slotMode)
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client.Client.<GetHistoryInternal>d__7.MoveNext()
       at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.VersionControl.Client.Client.<GetHistory>d__0.MoveNext()
       at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.Sourcecontrol.Vsts.GetModifications(IIntegrationResult from, IIntegrationResult to) in C:\projects\opensource\ccnet\trunk\source\ccnet\ccnet.vsts.plugin\Vsts.cs:line 132
       at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.Sourcecontrol.QuietPeriod.GetModifications(ISourceControl sourceControl, IIntegrationResult lastBuild, IIntegrationResult thisBuild)
       at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.IntegrationRunner.Integrate(IntegrationRequest request)
       at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.Project.Integrate(IntegrationRequest request)
       at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.ProjectIntegrator.Integrate()
       at ThoughtWorks.CruiseControl.Core.ProjectIntegrator.Run()
    ----------

We are using TFS 2005 and all other projects work fine. I've tried both the 2005 and 2008 clients without any change.

I've also tried deleting the workspace without any luck either.

-dave
    Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:28 PM

Answers

•  Riham Selim - MSFT wrote:

There might be some issue here, this is a simialr post, please try to run the sql query by Craig Harry in this post

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2367863&SiteID=1

and send out the results.

I'm embarrased to report that the problem turned out to be a missing 's' on my part.

I ran this query, and was surprised to get no results:

Code Snippet

SELECT * FROM tbl_Version where FullPath like '$\Online Services Solution Template\%'

I then reduced it to this, and to my horror (!) noticed I'd named it "Templates".

Code Snippet

SELECT * FROM tbl_Version where FullPath like '$\Online Services%'

1932    2147483647    63996    5    $\Online Services Solution Templates\    -3    0    NULL    2

I went back and checked the ccnet.config file and sure enough, It was missing.

Thanks for all your help in tracking this down.

If only you could right-click on the repository path in VS Team Explorer and copy it to the clipboard, I would have saved myself from this mistake :-)

-dave
    Monday, February 11, 2008 11:22 PM

All replies

• This can be a permission issue, make sure you have read permission to the folder.

Friday, February 08, 2008 3:22 PM
    This can be a permission issue, make sure you have read permission to the folder.

It doesn't appear to be that - I've removed and re-added the user to the Project Admins role (they were in the Build Services role) and it doesn't make any difference.

-dave
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 11:25 PM
  • There might be some issue here, this is a simialr post, please try to run the sql query by Craig Harry in this post

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Your ccnet configuration for that project should look like this:

<sourcecontrol type="vsts" autoGetSource="true" applyLabel="true">
      <server>http://my_tfs:8080</server>
      <username>my_user</username>
      <password>my_password</password>
      <domain>my_domain</domain>
      <project>$/Foobar</project>
      <workingDirectory>c:\projects\Foobar</workingDirectory>
      <cleanCopy>false</cleanCopy>
      <workspace>my_workspace_name</workspace>
      <deleteWorkspace>false</deleteWorkspace>
    </sourcecontrol>

Make sure your configuration is ok and that the user in the config file has read permission to the specified path:

tf permission /allow:Read /user:my_domain\my_user /server:http://my_tfs:8080 $/Foobar

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:29 PM

There might be some issue here, this is a simialr post, please try to run the sql query by Craig Harry in this post

I'm embarrased to report that the problem turned out to be a missing 's' on my part.

I ran this query, and was surprised to get no results:

Code Snippet

SELECT * FROM tbl_Version where FullPath like '$\Online Services Solution Template\%'

I then reduced it to this, and to my horror (!) noticed I'd named it "Templates".

Code Snippet

SELECT * FROM tbl_Version where FullPath like '$\Online Services%'

1932    2147483647    63996    5    $\Online Services Solution Templates\    -3    0    NULL    2

I went back and checked the ccnet.config file and sure enough, It was missing.

Thanks for all your help in tracking this down.

If only you could right-click on the repository path in VS Team Explorer and copy it to the clipboard, I would have saved myself from this mistake :-)

-dave
    Monday, February 11, 2008 11:22 PM