none
Cleaning up old .NET Framework versions

Question

• Hello, I am new to your forum so please go easy on me if I make any faux pas in etiquette. I've just begun learning about WebMatrix and as I understand it I need .NET Framework 4 for this development environment. I have downloaded it, but on this machine I inherited older versions of the Framework remain. Does version 4 need any components from the earlier versions in order to function correctly or can I simply remove those from my system?
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 7:18 AM

Answers

• First, don't worry about "any faux pas in etiquette" here. You may be told that there is a better forum for your question, but we're here to help.

I'm going to quote a reply I wrote to another poster with a similar question. I hope it will clarify things for you:

".NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 is all ONE framework. 2.0 is the base, full, framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0, and cannot exist without the 2.0 base. So you cannot remove 2.0 and keep 3.0/3.5.

Why do you need .NET Frameworks on your system? .NET Frameworks procide a secure, managed environment in which MANY Windows programs run. These programs will no longer work if you remove the supporting framework(s).For that reason, I strongly recommend that you leave the installed framework alone! If you do remove 2.0/3.0/3.5 and some of your programs stop working, you will have to reinstall the frameworks, then (most likely) reinstall the software that failed du to the removal.

Last, you cannot remove the installed .NET Frameworks and replace them with .NET Framework 4.0. Why? Because the developers of the software you use daily designed the software to work with a specific .NET Framework version, so the assemblies provided with 4.0 will not support software designed to work specifically with 2.0, for example.

Again, I suggest you leave the installed .NET Frameworks alone. In the future, you may need newer framework versions to support software you want to use, bu you will still need the versions you have now until you uninstall all programs that need them.

If you have further questions, I'll be glad to try to address them.

• Marked as answer by sailboggs Friday, January 13, 2012 1:18 PM
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 3:26 PM

All replies

• First, don't worry about "any faux pas in etiquette" here. You may be told that there is a better forum for your question, but we're here to help.

I'm going to quote a reply I wrote to another poster with a similar question. I hope it will clarify things for you:

".NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 is all ONE framework. 2.0 is the base, full, framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0, and cannot exist without the 2.0 base. So you cannot remove 2.0 and keep 3.0/3.5.

Why do you need .NET Frameworks on your system? .NET Frameworks procide a secure, managed environment in which MANY Windows programs run. These programs will no longer work if you remove the supporting framework(s).For that reason, I strongly recommend that you leave the installed framework alone! If you do remove 2.0/3.0/3.5 and some of your programs stop working, you will have to reinstall the frameworks, then (most likely) reinstall the software that failed du to the removal.

Last, you cannot remove the installed .NET Frameworks and replace them with .NET Framework 4.0. Why? Because the developers of the software you use daily designed the software to work with a specific .NET Framework version, so the assemblies provided with 4.0 will not support software designed to work specifically with 2.0, for example.

Again, I suggest you leave the installed .NET Frameworks alone. In the future, you may need newer framework versions to support software you want to use, bu you will still need the versions you have now until you uninstall all programs that need them.

If you have further questions, I'll be glad to try to address them.

• Marked as answer by sailboggs Friday, January 13, 2012 1:18 PM
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 3:26 PM
  • Thanks very much for verifying something about which I had only a vague hunch. I inherited the computer and therefore am not completely aware which programs are interacting with others.
    I do have another question regarding Web Matrix, but I believe there is a forum for that. I will post it there. Thanks again!!

Friday, January 13, 2012 1:22 PM