none
JPEG Keyword information

Question

• Hello everybody,

I was looking into Digital Image Suite 2006 and noticed that even when you copy JPEG files within Windows Explorer, Digital Image will remember whether your keyword "Paris" was referring to a person or a place.

Upon further inspection I noticed that the JPEG file was embedded with this information in XML format, though you could not see this information by viewing the file's properties through Windows Explorer.

It seems Windows Vista will be supporting this functionality too since Windows Photo Gallery is essentially a simpler version of Digital Image. Is there some sort of API available to us to get this information as well? I couldn't find mention of this XML in the developer center.

Thanks in advance,
    Friday, January 27, 2006 8:47 PM

Answers

• Are you looking for a managed or unmanaged API? The Windows Vista Photo Gallery uses WindowsCodecs.dll which provides a rich set of COM imaging APIs (called the Windows Imaging Component (WIC) APIs). These APIs are also used by WinFx and can be accessed by installing the WinFx SDK and looking at the System.Windows.Media.Imaging namespace. Documentation for both APIs can be found in the Windows Vista SDK

Please let us know if you have any specific information about either set of APIs.

Thanks,

Robert.
    Friday, January 27, 2006 11:21 PM

All replies

• Are you looking for a managed or unmanaged API? The Windows Vista Photo Gallery uses WindowsCodecs.dll which provides a rich set of COM imaging APIs (called the Windows Imaging Component (WIC) APIs). These APIs are also used by WinFx and can be accessed by installing the WinFx SDK and looking at the System.Windows.Media.Imaging namespace. Documentation for both APIs can be found in the Windows Vista SDK

Please let us know if you have any specific information about either set of APIs.

Thanks,

Robert.
    Friday, January 27, 2006 11:21 PM
  • Thank you very much for your answer, Robert. I'll definitely check that out.

I am interested in an unmanaged API. I poked around the WIC API a bit online but it was scarce for info about how to get this specific information. I couldn't find it in System.Windows.Media either.

I'll still look around. But knowing that there is a public API is great and is exactly what I was asking for.

Thanks,
    - Richard
    Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:41 PM