none
Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during loading of COM add-in error

Question

• Hi, I created an Excel 2007 add-in with VSTO 2005 to customize the ribbon ui (add a tab/button) on Vista. I'm able to build the add-in and setup project with no errors or warnings. I can also install the setup project. The add-in shows up in Excel Options | Add-Ins | COM Add-ins. However, when I click the add-in option, I get the error message "Not Loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM add-in." I've signed the project with a strong name file and ran "caspol.exe" to make the assembly fully trusted. Any ideas on what's going on? Thanks

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:19 PM

Answers

• As there has been no response for a long time, I'm speculating that you took Cindy's guidance and resolved the issue.

I will therefore close this post. If you have another problem with VSTO add-ins, please open a new post.

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:12 AM

All replies

• Did you place the code in the Startup event in a try...catch block so that you can see or log any errors that Excel itself may be generating? The mention of a "runtime error" makes me suspect this is not the case. The information from the runtime error message might be helpful in determining why the Addin is failing to load...
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 6:17 PM
  • As there has been no response for a long time, I'm speculating that you took Cindy's guidance and resolved the issue.

I will therefore close this post. If you have another problem with VSTO add-ins, please open a new post.

Friday, March 16, 2007 1:12 AM
  •  

Hi, I am  getting same error.

I have created a Word 2007 add-in with VSTO 2005

How did you solve the problem?

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:13 AM
  • I created an Excel 2007 add-in with VSTO Se and I get the same error:

Not loaded.  A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in.

This add-in is the default project, I haven't added any code.  When run/debugged from VS it runs fine in Excel.  When I use the install from the setup.exe it installs the add-in but it won't load in Excel.  It seems like alot of people are having this problem.

Thursday, October 04, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

First of all, once a post gets marked as answered, they are much less likely to be read again (except by people who have the same problem and are looking for an answer).  So if you add your question on the end of an already answered post, you stand a good chance of having your question inadvertantly ignored.  Don't be shy about starting a new thread.  If you've searched the forum for answers and you can't find the help you are looking for, starting a new thread is definitely the right thing to do--even if the topic has been discussed before.

With respect to your specific question, have a look at the following thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=818608&SiteID=1  There is a very comprehensive discussion on how to diagnose this particular problem.  If that doesn't resolve the issue for you, please open a new thread documenting what you have tried and we can go from there.

Sincerely,

Geoff Darst

Microsoft VSTO Team

Thursday, October 04, 2007 6:59 PM

• Hi,
    Did u manage to solve the problem? The link from Geoff Darst doesn't work.

Thanks,
    Ram
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

Link is broken. Can you please repost the link to view discussion forum.

Thanks,

Ashish

Friday, September 03, 2010 9:10 AM