none
How to get instrumentation report for different layers

Question

• Hello,

We are using VS2010 Ultimate for load and instrumentation profiling of web application developed in ASP.Net (MVC) and data base SQL server 2008 R2.

We are able to get Instrumentation profiling at MVC layer. However, we are not able to get instrumentation report of other layers like Service layer, Business layer, Repository layer and Data access layer.

So in this way we only able to get page level details. But not able to go deeper and to find out which .NET function/ADO.NET call is talking more time so It is not beneficial for development team to diagnosis’s the actual performance root cause.

We need to understand how can we get instrumentation profile for all the layers so that we can pinpoint the bottleneck and dev team can resolve the same. The report should provide time taken at each layer, in each method for each call.

Kindly help us to get this done.

Thanks,

Harsha

Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Harsha,

Thank you for your post.

As far as I know, the instrumentation profiling method of the Visual Studio records detailed timing information for the function calls, lines, and instructions in the profiled application. If you want to get report of data access layer, I think that you can enable ‘Tier Interaction Profiling’ when you choose Instrumentation profiling. For more information, see the following blogs:

Multi-Tier Performance Analysis

Walkthrough: Using the Tier Interaction Profiler in Visual Studio Team System 2010

Tier interaction profiling provides additional information about the execution times of functions of multi-tiered applications that communicate with databases through ADO.NET services. Data is collected only for synchronous function calls. You can include tier interaction data in all profiling methods.

Reference: How to: Collect Tier Interaction Data

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 22, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your reply.

But my requirement is how to get profiling report for service layer.

My application is built on MVC and is using WCF service. Am able to get profiling report for MVC application but I want to know how can I get profiling report for WCF application also.

Please help.

Regards,

Harsha

Friday, February 22, 2013 2:31 PM
  • Hi Harsha,

As far as I know, the Profiler tool supported the WCF app.

1. Make sure that the app worked well.
    2. If possible, I suggest you try to profile it in command line. See “Profiling WCF/WF Applications with VS Performance Profiler

In addition, Mike shared us the detailed steps to profile the WCF server in this thread “Profiling a WCF Application”, if possible, you could check the detailed steps. Hope it could help.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Harsha I Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:12 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:13 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The link "Profiling a WCF Application" solved my problem.

Thanks again :)

Regards,

Harsha

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:18 PM
  • You're welcome! J

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:39 AM