none
Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0000005

Question

• I was given some code developed by another developer that I cannot get a hold of. What does this error mean? Am I using an old version of nteropServices.COM?

Below is a copy of the asp.net exception.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Server Error in '/imgCreate' Application.

Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0000005

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0000005

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0xc0000005): Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0000005]
    HtmlCapture.SnapShooterClass.SetThumbSize(Int32 nWidth, Int32 nHeight, Boolean bKeepRatio) +0
    _Default.btnSnap_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +275
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +105
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +107
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5102

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 1:48 PM

Answers

• That's the classic AccessViolation exception you get from unmanaged code accessing memory with a bad pointer.  The problem is located in the SnapShooter component.  Clearly, it can't be the arguments you pass to cause this exception.  Either you didn't initialize it correctly (unlikely) or it is just a plain bug in that component.  Contact the vendor for support.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 2:00 PM

All replies

• That's the classic AccessViolation exception you get from unmanaged code accessing memory with a bad pointer.  The problem is located in the SnapShooter component.  Clearly, it can't be the arguments you pass to cause this exception.  Either you didn't initialize it correctly (unlikely) or it is just a plain bug in that component.  Contact the vendor for support.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 2:00 PM
  • At this point I am afraid I cannot contact the vendor, is there any way around this error without contacting the vendor?
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 2:23 PM
  • At some point, paying the license fee is going to be more economical that randomly trying stuff to avoid the bug.  In my experience, that point is only a few hours in the future.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Smile The component is paid for (license fee etc). When I started working with the component I told the vendor that there is a problem which they acknowledged.  They told me that at this point the only thing they can do is issue me a refund Sad At this point switching vendors is really impossible.

The thing is that the component works perfectly in asp however it does not in .NET.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 2:56 PM
  • Choose asp or the component, I can't help you make a decision you should have made a long time ago.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 12:07 AM