none
Upgrading a .NET 3.5 project to 4.0

Question

• I've got a simple WinForms app, which I wrote using VS 2008.  I've recently upgraded it using VS 2010.  I'm getting ready to publish the app, and I want to make certain that the .NET Framework 4.0 is used.  I've checked project's references and see a lot of assemblies there that are either at .NET 2.0 (System, System.Data, System.Deployment, System.Drawing, System.Transactions, System.Windows.Forms and System.Xml) or 3.5 (System.Core and System.Xml.Linq).   I guess I just want reassurance that this will be a .NET 4.0 app, not one that simply uses VS 2010 for editing the source code.

Rod

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Rod,

You can change the target Framework from the Project properties Window.

Right Click the project, open the properties Window through the Properties menu item(Alt+Enter).

(c#)Open the Application tab, change the target Framework to .Net Framework 4.

(vb.net) open the Compile tab, click Advanced Compile option, then change the Framework to .Net Framework 4.

For more details, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398202.aspx.

If there is anything unclear, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hello Rod,

I am moving your case to the Windows Forms General forum so that you can get better support there.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:24 AM
  • Hello, when you take a VS2008 project into VS2010 and change the Framework to 4 all existing references are changed to version 4 also. So it appears that your project has not done this. Did the project begin life in VS2008 or an earlier version?

I would suggest making a backup of the project. Next under project properties refernces tab remove one old reference then add it back in with the version 4 copy, repeat until all are done.

KSG

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Hi Rod,

You can change the target Framework from the Project properties Window.

Right Click the project, open the properties Window through the Properties menu item(Alt+Enter).

(c#)Open the Application tab, change the target Framework to .Net Framework 4.

(vb.net) open the Compile tab, click Advanced Compile option, then change the Framework to .Net Framework 4.

For more details, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398202.aspx.

If there is anything unclear, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]

Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:31 AM