none
Is VS Team right for me?

Question

• I am trying to solve a problem when deploying ASP applications.  I am using VS2010 with jira as source control.  Whenever I publish my application, all my changes made on my local machine, wether or not they are checked in, are pulled into the publish.  I have been reading, and it looks like VS Team Server Foundation might be a solution to my problem?

Thanks.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Khoke1, 

Thanks for your post.

Team Build deploy web applications using MSBuid /p:DeployOnBuild = True command line, Team Build invoke MSBuild to build and deploy projects, if the MSBuild deploy can resolve your problem, you can use Team Build to deploy your web applications. For information about Team Build deploy web application, please refer to the detailed steps in this blog: http://vishaljoshi.blogspot.com/2010/11/team-build-web-deployment-web-deploy-vs.html.       

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Team Foundation Server (TFS) is a great product that can indeed be configured to solve your problem. But it sounds to me that you are building/publishing from your local machine and not using a build server. Configuring a build server to get the latest version of the code from source control and build/publish your solution will effectively ensure that any changes you did on your local machine and not checked in does not end up in the published application. That can be solved with or without TFS.

Since you alreade have Jira and some source control in place moving to TFS might be more work than you asked for. You would have to leave both Jira and your current source control behind and migrate to TFS. If that is what you want to do, then fine. Otherwise I would suggest you look at something like Jenkins to solve your problem.

JESPER FERNSTRÖM
    Transcendent Group

Friday, June 29, 2012 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Khoke1, 

Thanks for your post.

Team Build deploy web applications using MSBuid /p:DeployOnBuild = True command line, Team Build invoke MSBuild to build and deploy projects, if the MSBuild deploy can resolve your problem, you can use Team Build to deploy your web applications. For information about Team Build deploy web application, please refer to the detailed steps in this blog: http://vishaljoshi.blogspot.com/2010/11/team-build-web-deployment-web-deploy-vs.html.       

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Team Foundation Server (TFS) is a great product that can indeed be configured to solve your problem. But it sounds to me that you are building/publishing from your local machine and not using a build server. Configuring a build server to get the latest version of the code from source control and build/publish your solution will effectively ensure that any changes you did on your local machine and not checked in does not end up in the published application. That can be solved with or without TFS.

Since you alreade have Jira and some source control in place moving to TFS might be more work than you asked for. You would have to leave both Jira and your current source control behind and migrate to TFS. If that is what you want to do, then fine. Otherwise I would suggest you look at something like Jenkins to solve your problem.

JESPER FERNSTRÖM
    Transcendent Group

Friday, June 29, 2012 11:58 AM