none
Process Templates for Non-Development Projects?

General discussion

• Hello,

I'm a consultant for a government agency. The IT dept is around 30 people, and the skill level is a bit low. Projects were managed using Excel (and there were not very good in that!)

I decided to introduce TFS 2012 to track projects and help improve Agile practices.

The problem is: some of the IT dept in government is not about Software development! Procurement projects, for example, is common.. 

I've 2 options:

a: Introduce MS Project Server as well.. Pros: The right tool to be used for all projects.. Cons: Too big for our small team, and it yet another tool to be introduced and taught for the team! 

b: Use TFS as a project management tool: I might need to do some customisation and create my own process template that list projects and tasks.. and provide nice reports.. Pros: One software fits all (add to that: help desk in TFS), easier to maintain (one server for all projects needs), easier to teach one system rather than two.. Cons: customisation is time consuming..! 

So: Any suggestions? and I you came across any process templates for generic IT project management, please share :)

Thanks,

• Changed type walrashoud Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:30 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Walrashoud, 

Thanks for your post.

I’m not familiar with MS Project Server, but if you occurred any issue when using TFS 2012 Server, you can post it here, our members and I will try our best to help you.

And I think we should change this post type to Discussion. Can I help you to change it?

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:22 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks.. Sure changing this to discussion is great :)

I haven't installed MS Project yet, and I don't have experience in it to be honest.. So, introducing two new systems (TFS & MS Project) to our small team could be very hard.. 

That's why I'm trying to find a process template to be used in TFS, to handle non-development projects (such as procurement for new servers or machines), and help desk (for technical support such as email/login/connections issues etc)

I've found some articles mentioning such templates.. However, I couldn't find any downloadable templates..

Your ideas are greatly appreciated..

walrashoud

Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:28 PM
  • You may want to keep licensing in mind as well.

I'm not a licensing expert on Project/Project Server, but I do work with TFS licensing frequently...

• In TFS 2012, anyone without a license can create new work items. They cannot edit their work items or see anyone else's work items. They can also view reports hosted in SQL Reporting Services and SharePoint.
    • Users with a TFS CAL can create/edit work items (as security permissions allow).
    • Only users with MSDN Premium, Visual Studio Premium/Ultimate, or Test Professional licenses can utilize Feedback Management and Product Backlog screens in TFS Web Access.

Jeff Fattic

Friday, April 05, 2013 5:16 PM
  • Are "non-development" projects really that different from development projects? You have other kinds of deliverables, but I don't see why the ordinary Agile template wouldn't work.

I use TFS2010 with MSF for Agile Software Development 5.0 to plan and track an internal process improvement initiative. It is related to software development, and it will also produce a small amount of software (custom-built utilities), but for most parts it's not really a software development project.

Marcus Björklund

Friday, April 05, 2013 7:36 PM