none
Cannot install .Net 1.1 with Windows 8.1

Question

• I know it is pretty outdated, but a lot of my applications are still using libraries that were available in .net 1.1, but are no longer available in more recent builds of .net.  I just upgraded windows to 8.1 and I am now unable to install .net 1.1 due to incompatibility issues.  Anyone have any suggestions?
    Friday, October 18, 2013 1:47 PM

Answers

• .NET 1.1 is out of support, and not supported on Windows 7 and newer.

The only workaround I'm aware of is one for Win 7, published some time ago. It MIGHT work for you:

http://saranspot.blogspot.com/2009/02/installing-dotnet-framework-11-on.html

Friday, October 18, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Did you try to install .NET 3.5SP1 on Windows 8.1? It is not installed by default, so .NET apps compiled for 1.1 are going to try to use .NET 4. However if you install 3.5SP1, that will include 2.0, which may be more compatible with your 1.1 apps.

Depending on what features that were dropped from .NET that you were using, it might also be easier simply to upgrade the project and recompile on a newer framework version.

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:09 PM

All replies

• .NET 1.1 is out of support, and not supported on Windows 7 and newer.

The only workaround I'm aware of is one for Win 7, published some time ago. It MIGHT work for you:

http://saranspot.blogspot.com/2009/02/installing-dotnet-framework-11-on.html

Friday, October 18, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Hi,

I tried the proposed solution with Windows 8.1, but in step 8 I got a message saying that another version of the product is already installed. Any other solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:25 PM
  • The .net framework cleanup tool talked about in this article will let you clean-up the previous installation, from before you updated to Windows 8.1.  After the cleanup is complete, installing the .net 1.1 framework succeeds.

Microsoft did this same thing on the server side back with Windows Server 2008 -- they made it so that the .net framework 1.1 wouldn't install, then corrected that in Windows Server 2008 R2 so that it installed from the normal installation package again...  Maybe Windows 8.2 will make it so that we don't have to do this run-around again?

Louis-EY

Monday, October 21, 2013 5:59 PM
  • Did you try to install .NET 3.5SP1 on Windows 8.1? It is not installed by default, so .NET apps compiled for 1.1 are going to try to use .NET 4. However if you install 3.5SP1, that will include 2.0, which may be more compatible with your 1.1 apps.

Depending on what features that were dropped from .NET that you were using, it might also be easier simply to upgrade the project and recompile on a newer framework version.

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:09 PM
  • Thanks a lot Louis-EY. That helped a lot!!!!  I couldn't do any work until I had 1.1 back
    Monday, October 21, 2013 6:30 PM