none
VS2012 can't open an ASP .NET MVC Web project

Question

• VS2012 can't open an ASP .NET MVC project completly, but VS2010 does.

I want to open it with VS2012.

I had VS2010 installed before and I use to open it with no problems.

The project is called Commerce (from the Source code of the book Dependency Injection for .NET), when I try to open it, it says that the project type of CommerceWeb.csproj is not supported by the current version of VS (I installed VS2012 only).

This are the project's folders:

What have I missed?, What is project behavior impacting modifications?

Believe you can do it, and you will!!

• Edited by RalphDev Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:41 PM
    Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi RalphDev,

Whether the specific app is created in VS2010 or VS2012 in default?

If possible, you could try to create the same project in VS2012, and maybe you could get more information, for example, maybe it need to install other add-ins or third library in this specific app.

In addition, if the specific app is created in VS2010, to make sure that whether it is related to your VS, you could create a simple MVC web app in VS2010, and then open it in VS2012, check it again. If it worked well, so we could make sure that it is not the VS issue.

Actually we have the specific forum for the ASP.net issue, if we could make sure that it is related to the specific ASP.NET app, you could post this issue http://forums.asp.net where asp.net experts live in, and there you would get dedicated support. Of course, if possible, you could send me your project, and I will try to check it in my side. You could send it to jackzhai at Hotmail dot com.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by RalphDev Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:15 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi RalphDev,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Could you share us more information about this issue? Which VS2012 version are you using, the ultimate or other?

1. Could you create an ASP.net MVC project in VS2012? You would make sure that you use the same language C#/VB. If you could, I suggest you create a new solution, and then select “Add Existing Project”, check it again.
    2. If you couldn’t create the same app in VS2012, you would check whether you don’t install the specific Templates.
    3. To make sure that whether it is related to your VS setup, please try to check it in other machine, if it worked well in other machine, maybe you could try to repair your VS, check it again.

Best Regards,

Update:

If you update the app created in VS2010 with VS2012, please make sure that you install the VS2010 sp1 for VS2010.

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Hi Jack:

Thank you for answering.

The code was downloaded from the Mark Seamann's book Dependency Injection in .NET (2012).

The code's MVC version is 3 (ASP.NET MVC 3)

I tried to remove the incompatible project from the solution and then added it again as an existing project but I keep recieving the error message.

I just installed VS2012, since it has all versions of Silverlight, RIA Services, etc. already installed. With VS2010 I had to install all those libraries and I thought it was time to move on to a newer version.

I formatted my machine and installed everything from scratch.

I haven't installed anything extra but VS2012 Ultimate (Windows 7). If I need some template, I don't know, but I checked the book and it says that the code was written with ASP.NET MVC 3, and this template is already present in VS2012.

What do you think?

• Edited by RalphDev Monday, March 18, 2013 2:51 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Hi RalphDev,

Whether the specific app is created in VS2010 or VS2012 in default?

If possible, you could try to create the same project in VS2012, and maybe you could get more information, for example, maybe it need to install other add-ins or third library in this specific app.

In addition, if the specific app is created in VS2010, to make sure that whether it is related to your VS, you could create a simple MVC web app in VS2010, and then open it in VS2012, check it again. If it worked well, so we could make sure that it is not the VS issue.

Actually we have the specific forum for the ASP.net issue, if we could make sure that it is related to the specific ASP.NET app, you could post this issue http://forums.asp.net where asp.net experts live in, and there you would get dedicated support. Of course, if possible, you could send me your project, and I will try to check it in my side. You could send it to jackzhai at Hotmail dot com.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by RalphDev Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:15 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Hi Jack:

Thank for your offering.

I'lll send you the project so you can help me with it, I'm studying Dependency Injection, the book's author said that the project was developed against MVC3, but I got an error message that suggests that's it is an MVC 2.

• Edited by RalphDev Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:18 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:18 PM